reinforcing k member

-

trbodrt

Reaction score
I will be reinforcing my 73 spool mount k member, for sure boxing in the steering mount, just wanted opinions on reinforcing where the lower control arm mounts, add a washer or just re weld the sleeves, if re welding the sleeves do I need to grind away the existing weld first? I will also be welding a washer where the strut rod mounts using baddarts chromoly adjustable strut rods. Just looking for opinions on the project.

Go to FirmFeel.com and look at what they do. The pictures of reinforced K frames on their website are worth studying if you are trying to do your own. Dick Ross and company have been doing this for years and can answer just about any question you could come up with. If you do not want to make up your own templates and cut out the reinforcing gussets yourself, you can buy the coupon kit from Dick (FirmFeel) containing the basic gusset plates. I think he charged me 65 bucks and I still need to make up the ones for a skid plate. You'll have to decide if saving the time and labor to make them up yourself is worth it to you.
Lastly, the gussets weren't listed on the Firm Feel website last time I checked, you have to call and ask for them.

I've seen firm feels k members, just wondering about welding an extra washer for the lower control arms and if its neccessary.

Don't add a washer to the rear side of the LCA pivot tubes as this will move the arm rearward (the direction you don't want it to go).

Firm Feel will sell you a kit of parts if you want to do it yourself. They have special parts made to reinforce the K-frame. It isn't a regular washer from the parts store.

Don't add a washer to the rear side of the LCA pivot tubes as this will move the arm rearward (the direction you don't want it to go).

If fabricated properly, a washer will not move the LCA back or not back significantly.

The pivot tube pokes out past the K-member a little to get factory welded. A washer with the correct ID, thickness, countour should not move the LCA back or not back much.

-
Back