Rejetting a Carter 2-barrel

-
More work to do then. Rasing the metering rods did nothing, but it seems to run better right off cold while it still has some choke on. Will keep playing.
Thanks everyone, if I find something, you will be the first to know!

Pulled the top off the carb tonight, I must have a different carb than the one with the allen screw. This car is a stock '72 318. The plugs are bone white, heat range looks good at 2 to 3 threads burned, timing on the ground strap looks good. It's supposed to be TDC, don't remember what I timed it at, 5 adv or so, it doesn't ping. Yes I overhauled the carb, though it didn't really need it. Using 10% alcohol gas, tried straight premium, a little better, but not much. Getting worse with cooler fall weather. Dist is stock one that came with the car. Vacuum hoses are all in there factory positions.

View attachment 1715992477

View attachment 1715992478

View attachment 1715992479

View attachment 1715992480
Very clean lookin engine!

Dana, the are the old style jets, the large one.

Dana, the are the old style jets, the large one.

carter cover page.jpg

cover back side.jpg

I have tried to keep under the hood stock in appearance. I almost want to find a 360 2-barrel truck intake that would have a Holley on it. Like my '78 Van had. The intake ports would be a little large, I think, but easy to rejet. This is just a stock rebuilt driver. Someone is giving me a truck 318, mid to late '70's, it has a Carter on it, maybe it would have larger jets. Winter is close, I will find a solution.
Thank you all, I have your suggestions.
I have one of those Holley carburetors. It's a good core.

It may be the better part of a week before I can get back to this. Have been trying some external things, making sure that I don't have something vacuum going on.
The pilot that bought my airplane just slid the annual condition inspection onto my plate. An A&P was supposed to do it and bailed out. I built it so I can do it. Gotta get that knocked out while the weather up here is still nice!
When I get back to it, will see what's in there and let you know.

It may be the better part of a week before I can get back to this. Have been trying some external things, making sure that I don't have something vacuum going on.
The pilot that bought my airplane just slid the annual condition inspection onto my plate. An A&P was supposed to do it and bailed out. I built it so I can do it. Gotta get that knocked out while the weather up here is still nice!
When I get back to it, will see what's in there and let you know.

How do I even tell what ones are in mine? Are they stamped or do you mic them?
Metering rods.

-
Back