Relay Enclosure

-

RedFish

Reaction score
I've got 2 headlight relays going in now. Future plans include a relay for electric fuel pump and yet another for a/c drive clutch.
I'm wondering what others have used for a box or housing that looks decent under the hood of an A-body.

I'd like to hear other's ideas on this as well. I've been thinking of spending a day in pick and pull, but I cannot hike like I used to (arthritis) Really puts a crimp in "findin' stuff."

Well.

I have a F-250 trailer wiring relay box and it holds 2 regular relays and 4 micro relays, its is a real small box. Id show a picture but photo bucket is down right now. Going to use it for my headlamp relays and horn relays and will have a couple spots left over.

This wouldn't look good under the hood but I used this electrical junction box to house relays and other electronics in the trunk. Totally sealed except for any holes drilled.

Attachments

• 000_0199.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 677
I used a project box from Radio Shack. Backed it with some foam and bolted it in place. Used bits and pieces from auto parts store to build what I wanted. Tucked it under the battery tray.
relay_box.jpg

relaybox_installed.jpg

Studied the options yesterday and put together a plan.
The car is a 67 so the horns and the horn relay are all on the right side.
For a long time I have disliked the way the factory tied the positive to the horn relay directly off the alternator. Back burner plan was to move the horns to under the battery tray and relocate that relay and alter its power source.
New plan... Approx 4"X10" enclosure on right inner fender containing 5 relays, high beam, low beam, horns, a/c, fuel pump.
I bought a weatherproof holder for a maxi-fuse to supply to the enclosure from the alternator.
Ordered SPDT relays and Echlin EC23 relay harness connectors from NAPA.. This is a expensive way to go about it. :(
More later

Redfish,
A little late but here is the pics:
MVC-006S.jpg

MVC-007S.jpg

I agree with moving the horn relay. The pic shows 2 micro relays but there is 2 open spots right behind the 2 pictured.

I agree with moving the horn relay. The pic shows 2 micro relays but there is 2 open spots right behind the 2 pictured.

That is a neat little box Rob. Are the mini relays rated to 30 amp and suitable for the headlights ? I know one of those can handle horn duty. I would definitely want the larger relay on the a/c.
So if I went to the pic and pull... Where in the F-series is it found.

Thanks

Yes,

I paid $5 at pick-a-part. Just for your sanity, take a 1/4" drive 5.5mm socket or 7/32nds because they are a ***** to take off with pliars and a cresent wrench, don't ask me how I know.

They are located right by the drivers side hood hinge piggy backed to the main relay box.

The little ones are 20 amp, I was going to use them for horn relays and I don't know why they could not handle headlamps, 2 for low beam and 2 for high. I am using H-4's and not the highest wattage bulb.

I bought dual #87 relays for the headlamps which I could not find in the micro relay and going to use a micro for the horns.

After a lot of do, undo, re-do, my relay enclosure is finished.
It's homemade but simple and serviceable. I did have to take an inch of length out of the alternators belt tension arm so the cover would come out.
The black plastic once was a late A glove box. The white nylon screws and nuts I had here.
One pic shows wiring through new hole though core support.
I picked up the holes grommet off the ground while roaming the parts yard.
If I remember I'll get a pic of the inside next time I have the cover off.
I hope to get a nice vinyl sticker for it that says,
RELAYS
see owner manual
supplement

Attachments

• relay panel.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 606
  • wiring to relay panel in and out 02.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 591
I wonder why motorcycles don't have relay enclosures??
They are exposed to rain, heat, washing of the motorcycle with soap and water, you name it. There is three relays right there under the a cover on my Triumph. Seems like motorcycle companies would protect the relays better than that.

Cars too. My brothers 92 Mustang has 2 relays hanging on the right inner fender. Junior accord had relays for the headlight doors out there behind those doors. My homemade enclosure isn't water tight. "Enclosure" is really just a place to gather them and a cover to hide them. LOL

I recently picked one up out of a Caravan. "About" 6x6x10 or so. Has some big as well as the mini fuses, and at least 5 relays. I've got it in, used one for "ignition run", one for fuel pump, and one each for low, hi, beams. Mounts really nice on fender apron in front of washer on my 67.

ok, he "assembles" them per customers requests... sheesh!!

Look I wasn't trying to nitpick. My point is this is an actual product that a manufacturer puts out AND you get them "empty" which means you can configure 'em anyhow you want.

He may be selling these at a competitive price, I don't know. But other suppliers sell the components, you might better build your own

Please don't be so damn quick to get the "sheesh" **** out with me

FirmFeel makes top notch stuff, Dick is a super nice guy and easy to work with. my2cents

oops, there i said it again !!
yeah, you're nitpicking. you've helped me through wiring problems whether you realize it or not and I thank you for that, but picking apart my posts or any others that were simply meant to help other members is bogus. I was responding to the OP with information that might be helpful. If my terminology isn't up to your high standards then I suggest you find a higher standard web site where you can fully excersize your big brain.

yeah, you're nitpicking. ........... I suggest you find a higher standard web site where you can fully excersize your big brain.

Now you've managed to really piss me off. I already told you the meaning of my post. You really want to start a war, here?

I WAS MERELY POINTING OUT THAT THESE ARE A BUSSMAN PRODUCT AND ARE AVAILABLE IN OTHER CONFIGURATIONS

Now it appears that you cannot spell, either.

-
Back