Relocate Master Cylinder?

-

ne57

Reaction score
Sorry but my eyes are blurry from searching the archives to no avail. I will need to relocate the master cylinder on my 66 Dart to make room for the 392 hemi valve covers.

I heard reference to a kit from 'somebody' to move the MC outboard a few inches, but I just can't find the source. If anyone knows who supplies this kit, also if it works on A bodies too or just B bodies. If no kit is available just how do I go about relocating the MC? Motor won't fit with the MC the way it is now so this is about the most challenging step(at least so far, LOL) in the swap.

I did see something about a MC/Pedal assembly but I'm not sure this is the way to go. Having the MC under the dash or under the floorboards sounds problematic. But if its the only way I guess that's what i would have to do. Would rather do it the simple/cheap way, if possible.

thanks

Mopar Performance sells a block that bolts between the master and the firewall that moves the master over a few inches. It can be purchased from any vendor like Mancini, Year one, Jacks, etc. I have used them not just on hemi cars, but big block cars too for added clearance.

Any Dodge dealer can get you the Mopar Performance offset adapter but it is a fairly crude part. I'd suggest the CNC version from Mancini Racing that is designed to work with the late model aluminum MC. The late model MC has screw on caps, a plastic reservior that doesn't rust and is lightweight to boot.

Sorry but my eyes are blurry from searching the archives to no avail. I will need to relocate the master cylinder on my 66 Dart to make room for the 392 hemi valve covers.

Is this 392 the original 57-58 392 or the new version? If the 57-58 version, would sure like to see some pictures of that monster installed in an early A Body

Is this 392 the original 57-58 392 or the new version? If the 57-58 version, would sure like to see some pictures of that monster installed in an early A Body

Yup, a 1957 vintage Firepower. I'm only just beginning this project. I'll start a thread once I've got something substantial to post and update as I go along. There's not much web info on this kind of swap so I'll be making mistakes I'm sure, I'll include them because they can be just as informative as successes.

Thanks for the adapter leads, I'll check them out.

Yup, a 1957 vintage Firepower. I'm only just beginning this project. I'll start a thread once I've got something substantial to post and update as I go along. There's not much web info on this kind of swap so I'll be making mistakes I'm sure, I'll include them because they can be just as informative as successes.

Thanks for the adapter leads, I'll check them out.

I've got a completely rebuilt 58 392 sitting on the stand with no place to go. It was originally destined for a 56 Dodge truck and then a 65 Coronet. I know that motor will fit (barely) in a 67-up A Body but have my doubts about an early A Body. I'll definitely be watching for your thread!

http://thehemi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1198 ( I sure hope its OK to post this link)

Not alot of difference sizewise between a 354 and a 392 and that fella did it.

I'm still unsure of how much the MC offset adapter actually 'offsets' it. In the link you'll see a pic that, to me anyway, looks like the MC moved over a substantial amount, like 3-4 inches, I can't really see if he used the adapter or not.

Funny you mentioned a 65 Coronet because that was my other choice. It was a matter of what's available and how much it costs. Darts are still relatively cheap. Its going to be a long process. Right now I'm working on just getting the /6 running so I can move it out of the way so I can fix my grocery getter (I wonder if hauling the hemi in the trunk had anything to do with the air suspension giving up? Months apart but makes you wonder) Never ends.

-
Back