Relocate Solenoid Slant 6 1965 Barracuda

-

Iseemovies

Reaction score
I need to move the solenoid location to make room for exhaust. The plan is to move it to the driver's side fender and run a wire instead of the copper piece that connects the passenger side post to the starter. Does anyone know what wire gauge is required to do this?

65 cuda solenoid 1.jpg

65 cuda solenoid 2.jpg

Measure the length needed, and head to your local parts store.
They usually have a " rack " of pre-made cables .
Good luck

4 gauge or larger. As said the local "Oh Reallys" or NAPA etc should stock "eye to eye" starter cables such as used on Fords

Th'ell would you mount it there down under and close to the exhaust.................Mount the damn thing up high on the fender, like FORD

Th'ell would you mount it there down under and close to the exhaust.................Mount the damn thing up high on the fender, like FORD
Close on a Slanty? Not sure what the OP's makin' room for tho'. Heat rises, so unless there is a radiant source in proximity, lower is better.

Pardon my ignorance, but I've owned 63, 65, 66 and 67 slant sixes, one manual and three automatics, and I've never seen a starter like that on a slant six. Ones I've had were just regular Chrysler Corp starters, interchangeable with small and big block V8s. What???

What about running a lightweight modern aluminum starter? My 63:

DSCF0087.jpg

It appears that it's a Canadian style starter that they stopped using in the US in the very early 60s. In order to use the US style starter, you have to change the flywheel or torque converter ring gear.

It appears that it's a Canadian style starter that they stopped using in the US in the very early 60s. In order to use the US style starter, you have to change the flywheel or torque converter ring gear.

Thanks for that explanation. I just now noticed that the OP is from Canada.

Close on a Slanty? Not sure what the OP's makin' room for tho'. Heat rises, so unless there is a radiant source in proximity, lower is better.
I was going by "what I thought I could see" which may be skewed by the angle

-
Back