Relocate springs and keep it low?

-

Idaho

Reaction score
I want to run about a 295 x 28" tire on my Demon clone and keep the tire tucked inside the fender, fairly low, say a couple inches of rubber above the fender.

I'm thinking I'll need to relocate the springs inward, and maybe mini-tub.

I'll be building a 360 Magnum to around 400 HP, 4 speed, 4:10 gear. Intent is street use, few track runs. Wondering what spring to use.

I've read that the SS springs raise the rear, and I'm wondering if the relocate will also raise things up. Do I need a Cal-trac and mono leaf or something to keep it low?

When i relocated my springs, i drilled one hole in the relocation box at the factory height, measured the factory front spring eye from the bolt center to the outside of the spring and drilled another hole off of this measurement with about 1/8" clearance to allow me to lower it(1 1/2")this second hole gives a nice stance using factory 5 leaf springs. Im running 295-55-15 and have room to go bigger. There is also room to go lower, the car is also mini-tubbed. Im using an adjustable pinion snubber to keep things in check. This car has yet to hit the road, but it has a nice stance and everything looks to be in order.

When i relocated my springs, i drilled one hole in the relocation box at the factory height, measured the factory front spring eye from the bolt center to the outside of the spring and drilled another hole off of this measurement with about 1/8" clearance to allow me to lower it(1 1/2")this second hole gives a nice stance using factory 5 leaf springs. Im running 295-55-15 and have room to go bigger. There is also room to go lower, the car is also mini-tubbed. Im using an adjustable pinion snubber to keep things in check. This car has yet to hit the road, but it has a nice stance and everything looks to be in order.

Haven't done this myself, but this the best way to do what you're looking for imo.

Thanks. I think I get it, would be awesome though to see pics of your spring work and the stance.

I'm likely going with a 295/45/17 tire.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mickey-thompson-street-radial-295r17.html

Section width is 11.6". I measured 11" from inner spring to inner fender lip. 3/4" extra with the offset hangers seems too tight so I think I need to relocate. I know I can trim the fender lips about 1/2" but there's also the inner fender well curving inward to consider.

I'm thinking of slicing out the outer wheel well curvature rather than the usual mini-tub. This will let me keep the folding rear seat.

I think I should get wheels and tires to check fit before I start buying spring parts. This will also help me get my diff width exactly right.

Rob, that's a great thread, thanks. I'm also thinking carefully about every thing with a mindset of being satisfied with the final product, but saving for retirement. I'm not counting on social security.

Finding 10" wheels with low backspace (I like a deep look) on a budget is quite a challenge. Seems I have to go with custom backspacing which is $$$.

I guess I kinda derailed my own thread! Oh well...

The hotchkis springs would be the easiest way to go about it with an offset backspace wheel, i went the route of 15x10 satin auto drags with a 7 1/4" backspace for the deep dish look but it entailed getting a 489 case 8 3/4 rear out of an imperial and narrowing it just under 17". Its definately the slower route, had to by rims and tires first and do a mock up etc. Ill try to get some pictures up tomorrow if i can get it rolled out of the garage, my garage is small enough to make taking pictures difficult. My car is a 67 dart btw, but as far as suspension and stance are concerned the mods are the same.

OK, thanks guys. Searching on Hotchkiss led me to more info. I see now there are options for springs to lower stance.

Mopar oval track springs (apparently sold by Firm Feel as road race springs).
ESPO.
Eaton.
Flex form (composite).
Calvert (monoleafs).
I'm sure there are others.

I need to learn about spring rates. I see numbers ranging from 110 to 220.

jr, I'll get back to you soon about your tubs.

-
Back