Remember the Holley 3 Barrel?

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
I was reading some of the current threads on which carb to use, and I got to thinking about the old Holley 3 Barrel. As I remember, it wasn't around long. It seemed like a good idea to me; put your foot in it, and the gigantic third barrel would open. Does anybody know what caused its demise?

I do remember my buddy Ron telling me of the fits people would have trying to tune them for street duty since it was designed as a NACAR carb running flat out for the most part on the track.

Were they not something along the order of 930/950cfm?

950 is the figure I remember, but they may have been different ones. "I saw one once" LMAO. Looked big back then

I think it was more like "poor metering" problems, could be wrong, good Lord that was a LONG time ago!!

Well, I am getting old. No exact number, but I did graduate from college in the 70s. Thanks for the great answers.

One of my friends had one of those on his Chevelle SS and spaced it to where the big barrel would clear.
Never heard much about it except that it only really ran well wide open.

The 950 model had boosters on the secondary side. The 150 model only had "dump tubes" stickin outta the carburetor body that just dumped raw fuel right into the secondaries.

There was also a funky setup that made them a double pumper that consisted of a gear drive for the primary and secondaries, as well as a squirter that attached to the primary squirter screw that ran over the choke tower and dumped right into the secondary side.

Lol, Noticed this in my scrap collection. List 3916-19. Thought some would be amused!

Attachments

• 3bbl.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 3bbl1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 181
-
Back