Remote battery post...cables ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
On my 46 dodge streetrod I've mounted a pair of Remote battery charging post. I still need to run the cables. Do I need to run a (-) cable all the way to the battery, or just a short one to the frame ?
Also the truck has a GM style side terminal battery. Will this be a problem connecting the extra cables to it ?

Last edited:
Depends on how well the battery is grounded to the frame. When I added a remote ground I cleaned up and secured the original ground cable from the battery to the engine. Then I added another ground from the engine to the frame. Lastly I ran a ground from the engine straight to my remote ground. You can always double check with a voltmeter or a headlight bulb and see if you can pull 12v from your ground.

You can always double check with a voltmeter or a headlight bulb and see if you can pull 12v from your ground.

if I understand what you are saying that test is not good enough. The ground has to be able to handle the full current of the load just like it was a wire. OEM systems traditionally have very poor and very small grounds between battery/ engine and the frame/ body. A good example is installing winches, snowplow lifts, and big lights onf 4x4's. The never had adequate ground ties for any of that.

I would run at least a no4 "starter' cable, "eyelet to eyelet" type cable. You can stack connections on a side post but I would not stack more than two

if you search around there are various adapters sold for adding connections to side terminal batteries.

I plan to use full size ( starter battery cables) To the remote charging post. Just was not sure if I could just use short cable to the frame (where the battery already is grounded). To avoid a longer negative cable

-
Back