Remote starter button

-

Muswagon

Reaction score
I hate posting this lol..... Where do I hook the leads on a 71 Duster?

If I recall correctly you are jumping your starter relay (like when you lay a screw driver across the posts :) ). Make sure its not in gear.

There are two ways to go, but some cheaper, lighter duty switches may eventually fail

The "low current" way is to pull off the yellow flag / spade "push on" connector at the starter relay, then connect the remote switch to that terminal, and to the large stud on the relay. It will not fire if transmission is in park (auto) or if you have a 70/ later car with clutch siwtch.

The second way, higher current through the remote switch, is to connect the switch to the large starter relay stud, and to the remaining large exposed "square" screw connector on the relay.

Also you can connect the switch directly to the only two terminals on the starter solenoid

Advance Auto sells a nice push button heavy duty switch. I have two on my firewall for setting valves

Made my own. About $15. One lead goes to black wire on starter relay(finger pic), other to +ve on battery.

20230814_172849.jpg

20230814_172928.jpg

Advance Auto sells a nice push button heavy duty switch. I have two on my firewall for setting valves
I’m assuming you wired it to where the NSS still functions to prevent starting in gear when using these right?

Buddy my car is safety checked probably 12 times a year. I’m good.
No no you got it wrong, I wasn’t questioning you, I was meaning how did you wire it to have that safety function still working.

My apologies for not wording that correctly the first time.

I actually like this so much, I’m considering it I’m mine.

No no you got it wrong, I wasn’t questioning you, I was meaning how did you wire it to have that safety function still working.

My apologies for not wording that correctly the first time.

I actually like this so much, I’m considering it I’m mine.

Man I did this so long ago that I can’t remember and my duster is in the trailer for this weekend. I know I have a heavy duty Ford type relay I bought at Napa and jumper it with a test lead when I need it.

Man I did this so long ago that I can’t remember and my duster is in the trailer for this weekend. I know I have a heavy duty Ford type relay I bought at Napa and jumper it with a test lead when I need it.
Cool no worries. Thanks

Wha...? Uncle Tony uses a screwdriver that he tosses all around the fenders and cowl scratching the paint all over the car and underhood when it falls down the inside of the fender... :lol:

You would love doing maintenance with these buttons on both sides.
Yeah. The new John Deere tractors have buttons that control the hydraulics mounted outside and it’s the best thing since they invented the steel plow

That's slick having one permenantly mounted in the engine bay. I'm adding that to my list for when I wire my '66. That's an awesome idea for folks with trunk-mounted batteries and non-stock wiring.

-
Back