remove exhaust manifold bolts

-
1970 Plymouth Valiant, 318

Just discovered coolant leaking from one of the studs. However, the previous owner used bolts instead of studs on the ends.
Will this give me any advantage when removing them? (buying Kroil tonight)
Should I replace them with the proper studs?
I like to use new hardware, is there a manifold bolt set that is popular to use?
Thanks
Danny

Yes on the stud Danny, and put some non hardening thread sealant on them as the front and rear studs go into water on both heads.

Whatever you do, don't get impatient about getting them out. Broken isn't good, lol.

Yes on the stud Danny, and put some non hardening thread sealant on them as the front and rear studs go into water on both heads.

Whatever you do, don't get impatient about getting them out. Broken isn't good, lol.

Thanks Bruce.
So I've been doing some more reading. According to the PO of my 318 Valiant, he installed 302 heads with 2.02 intake and 1.6 exhaust valves. I've been trying to look for this "set up" online but could not. Is there any truth to these values?
Also, I'm running stock 318 exhaust manifolds on the 302 heads. Is that OK? or is this causing a bottleneck?

I'm thinking you should go with a set of the HP manifolds (or headers) in order to take advantage of those big valves

LOL. I'm tempted. I've skimmed through that thread before. PM sent

Thanks, I returned your PM and explained everything. I only have ONE 340/360 manifold set left in my inventory. Although I have two late 60s 340manifolds which work more easily on the early As.

treblig

As Hemi446 said smack them with a hammer 2-3 times good and hard. This breaks the crusty bond where they have fallen in love. You will break 75% of them off if you don't smack them with a hammer. Just FYI broken off easy out/extractors can easily be removed with a small concrete bit and hammer drill. The bit shatters the extractor.

I guess I got lucky. When I pulled mine, they all came out with ease, like they had just been put in the day before.

I think 302 heads use the small 318 port size (they are all about quench, velocity and swirl) the 308 had the 360 size ports and an open chamber.

I guess I got lucky. When I pulled mine, they all came out with ease, like they had just been put in the day before.
I guess your luck came over to me. lol.
Mine all came out super easy; too easy. That's why it was leaking coolant.
They didn't seem to be very tight. And the 2/4 port had a double gasket in there.
I've decided to "keep it simple" and only change the right side gasket. The driver's side is solid with no leaks. I ordered new hardware/studs and will be using them instead of the junk I took off.

Be sure and use the correct LocTite high temp thread sealer on those studs that go into the water jacket

-
Back