Remove overspray

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Car was painted. Had some bubbles appear that resulted in the lower 1/4's and 1 trunk extension being replaced. On the door there appears to be some over spray from when the 1/4's were resprayed & cleared. To my untrained eyes it looks like a mist of clear found its way onto the existing finish:eek:ops:. Not very noticeable until the car is under fluorescent lights. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it?? Should I just start with a clay bar and see what happens?

Hey Ink, I have the same problem and I tried the clay bar. It only made it slicker for me but didn't take the overspray away. I'm hoping someone will have an answer. Have a good one. Jerry

I have removed overspray with lacquer thinner on a soft cloth. As long as there's cured clear the thinner won't damage the clear/paint. Not sure if it will work on clear that has been there for a while. Just my $.02 I have never used a clay bar.

do not use thinner. try clay, if not wet sand and buff
Was reading on the Mcquiers (spelling) forum and someone made mention of one particular brand of clay bar being more aggressive, course I forgot to book mark it.....

Was reading on the Mcquiers (spelling) forum and someone made mention of one particular brand of clay bar being more aggressive, course I forgot to book mark it.....

this is the one I have:
2i8i135.jpg

not sure if this particular one might be discontinued though (bought 3 jars for about $10 a few years ago). But, it's great for overspray(as the name might tell you lol)

Enamel reducer. Use it nearly everyday for everything lol takes grease off like its nothing and gets rid of road tar fairly easy

I would definitely try a clay-bar first.

If you wet sand it off, start with the least aggressive grit first.

I would try 2000. If that doesn't work, step down to 1500, if that doesn't work, step down to 1200/1000......

Remember, you need to bring the shine back after you wet sand so you only want to use what's needed.

Find what's needed then go up from there.

You don't want to be using 1000 if 1500 would have done the job.

I would try clay if it had residue on finish it should work if not be carefull sanding and buffing. I dont know your car. But it could make the quarter stick out if the whole body wasnt color sanded an buffed. Or if you have had it sanded and buffed and you didnt do it you could burn clear depending on how much was taken off previously. I dont know you ink junkie so i cant say what you are familiar so dont take offense. If you do go the sand buff route tape off or cover area you are not trying to fix that polish can get everywhere. Also tape lines so you dont burn trough clear. Sand with hardly lite pressure. I would use the bent razor trick acts like a nib file and just get those boogers off and try and buff the rest out. Hope that helps

I would try clay if it had residue on finish it should work if not be carefull sanding and buffing. I dont know your car. But it could make the quarter stick out if the whole body wasnt color sanded an buffed. Or if you have had it sanded and buffed and you didnt do it you could burn clear depending on how much was taken off previously. I dont know you ink junkie so i cant say what you are familiar so dont take offense. If you do go the sand buff route tape off or cover area you are not trying to fix that polish can get everywhere. Also tape lines so you dont burn trough clear. Sand with hardly lite pressure. I would use the bent razor trick acts like a nib file and just get those boogers off and try and buff the rest out. Hope that helps
No offense taken. This is all kind of new to me. This will be the first vehicle I have had that has been repainted. Up to now I was the rattle can primer kind of guy. The haze is on the right door, on the top lip near the window. The spot is about 3" long. Will see if it shows up in a picture. Thanks for you input....

for what its worth with the clay bars they are all made by the same company. Clay Magic holds the patent for them. There are different grades. a Medium grade should be fine. Use lots of soap and water. Do not get a synthetic or elastic bar or a foam bar.

i paint everyday. sometimes clear overspray as you describe being very faint....sneaks through the body and creeps out of hood to fender gaps etc. just a fine mist or dusty looking spot on adjacent panels. i use denatured alcohol on a soft cloth. if its pretty fresh...it wipes right off.

i paint everyday. sometimes clear overspray as you describe being very faint....sneaks through the body and creeps out of hood to fender gaps etc. just a fine mist or dusty looking spot on adjacent panels. i use denatured alcohol on a soft cloth. if its pretty fresh...it wipes right off.
It is at least a month or so old.....

A clay bar can usually remove it, but, I had some overspray on my rear quarter after I painted my trunk and the clay bar didn't work that well.

It wasn't really noticeable so I left it like that for a while. I tried some polishing compound and it came off.

Almost everybody has painted something that wasnt supposed to be. I thought i taped everything off and oops. I have someone double check me now no matter how confident i feel. My personal favorite mistakes where sweating in the paint while spraying. I wear a long sleaves and hood no matter what. The grand is tripping and falling into fresh paint. I dont paint tired any more haha. Cleaning up that mess was a nightmare and matching it all.

Almost everybody has painted something that wasnt supposed to be. I thought i taped everything off and oops. I have someone double check me now no matter how confident i feel. My personal favorite mistakes where sweating in the paint while spraying. I wear a long sleaves and hood no matter what. The grand is tripping and falling into fresh paint. I dont paint tired any more haha. Cleaning up that mess was a nightmare and matching it all.
I can only imagine fixing that was a mess.

-
Back