Removing AC Vents from a 68 Dart

-

MuuMuu101

Reaction score
So I want to remove the AC Vents from underneath my dash. I don't have an AC compressor or condenser, my hoses are hard, the plastic is rotted pretty bad making the vents useless, he AC buttons hardly work and get stuck, and frankly I'd rather mount the radio under the dash than in the glovebox (making the glovebox useless at the moment). I just don't know where to start and am having trouble finding the mounting points. I started to unscrew the dash cover around the vents but where do I go from there?

That dash:
IMAG0668.jpg

How it sits now:
IMAG1204.jpg

The damage:
IMAG1195.jpg

You sound like a guy who needs a shop manual

You have to beat around in there as some of the links are broken, reposted later

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual%2C+download

69 manual should be close

[ame]http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc.%20car%20info/69%20dodge%20service%20manual.pdf[/ame]

EDIT Many of the links seem to be corrupt. I had to get into Joe's page to find 'em

If this is not appropriate, I'll remove

http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc. car info/

I have the 69 manual on a pdf. :) I found the two mounting holes as well, my only problem is I don't have a 7/16 deep socket. I was able to get the passenger side out with my extender but I can't get it in on the driver side because my extender is too long and the center console is in the way.

where the blank spaces are between the vents.. Reach under that space and find a hole. You'll need a deep well socket 7/16 I think. I forget how it duct was attached to the plenum, phillips head screw or 2 maybe ?

Unscrew the 6 or 8 phillips screws that hold the dash pad in place. After you remove the pad, there is 2 7/16 nuts on studs betweeh the vents that hold it to the dash. unbolt them and it will fall right out. pretty easy to do.

I got it out last night. I'm just thinking about what I should do with the heater core since the duct is wide open. Also if I remove everything AC related from the engine bay, I'm going to have a bunch of holes that go straight to interior. I'm thinking about just making a block off plate for the duct and calling it a day.

I got it out last night. I'm just thinking about what I should do with the heater core since the duct is wide open. Also if I remove everything AC related from the engine bay, I'm going to have a bunch of holes that go straight to interior. I'm thinking about just making a block off plate for the duct and calling it a day.

I'm interested in seeing what you end up doing because I plan on doing the same thing on my 68. Not a huge fan of all the AC parts. Is the heater box different on a non-AC car??? I was thinking about just swapping to a non-AC heater box and plugging the holes in the firewall with a block-off plate or something.

I'm interested in seeing what you end up doing because I plan on doing the same thing on my 68. Not a huge fan of all the AC parts. Is the heater box different on a non-AC car??? I was thinking about just swapping to a non-AC heater box and plugging the holes in the firewall with a block-off plate or something.

From what I understand, the non-AC heater core just doesn't have the big duct in front of the box (sorry I don't have a picture on me). Idk what I might end up doing with my setup. I may just leave everything in there and cover up the duct till I can afford to redo the entire system.

From what I understand, the non-AC heater core just doesn't have the big duct in front of the box (sorry I don't have a picture on me). Idk what I might end up doing with my setup. I may just leave everything in there and cover up the duct till I can afford to redo the entire system.

Without looking at it, Can you just cut the duct off and fiberglass it solid, you maybe pop rivet a peice of sheet metal over it and put some seem sealer on the edges? Just think out loud here. How much is a new heater box?

Be warned in advance that if you convert to a non-ac heater box it will not bolt in without mods to the firewall! :(

Thank you. I don't think I'll switch the heater box. I already took out some of the engine compartment AC stuff. I'll probably take out the blower motor soon and cover it with one of AR Engineering's cover panels.

-
Back