Removing door panels

-

pt61v

Reaction score
The rear door panels on my 61 Valiant station wagon are a bit brittle so I dont just want to go in there prying them back to look at the window crank and door handle. Are there clips on them that just need to be popped off like other makes and models?

I'm removing the panels because both windows are very tight rolling down, probably haven't been rolled down in years...maybe decades.

Thanks in advance!

Ya there is a push in clip. There are a few different styles they used over the years. If you just pull on the panel there is a very good chance of jacking the panel up. I use a removal tool made just for stuff like that but a screwdriver works in a pinch or any thing flat you can slid in behind the panel and get behind the clip with.

I recommend one of these. Mine is made by MAC but you can get cheap ones from most parts stores.
~Michael

Attachments

• door_panel_tool.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 422
Ok, thanks. I will have to pick one of them up.

The problem you willhave is getting the window handle off. It has a spring clip on the back side of it and good luck trying to pry it off. I ended up using a couple of screw drivers to push up the spring clip. Take your time with them is all I can say, and get a hold of Dan he is the man when it comes to the 60-62 Lancer and Valiants

Maybe I learned something here. II've never seen the spring clips in A-body handles. Most of these have a allen screw in the center.
Seen the clips in a bunch of GM and others. I use the same door panel tool to create a little space between the handle and panel and use a dental pick to remove thoe clip.
While working as used car mechanic at a Ford dealership I was going into the door of a GM ( I forget what car exactly ) and that little clip got airbourne.
After about 30 minutes of hunting the thing I gave up and whent to plan B.
I used a tiny strand of wire like a twist tie to hold the handle on.
I did find the clip a couple of days later hiding between the lift parts in the other bay.
Have fun

yes, the 60-62 cars have the square peg & they have a clip that fits in the slot on the back side-- they are difficult to remove --at best. I ended up using 2 large flat bladed screwdrivers & a cheap door trim removal tool. I used the trim removal tool as a protector of the panel. I then slowly pried the handle off-- on 1 it popped right off once the tension was removed.
Lawrence

Thanks to all on this, I bought the tool and the panels came off with ease.

-
Back