Removing front windshield and back glass

-

POPS6T6

Reaction score
So after taking some time off I have finally started back on the car. I ended up buying a "parts" car and found out that the body was in mint condition so using that one to do the rebuild. Unfortunately it has no interior at all which isn't a problem since my dad's car has a complete mint interior.

I am in the process of getting the body in shape to paint and in the process was going to remove the front windshield and back glass (for both ease of painting and also ease of installing the new headliner) in planning this out, I already have a few questions.

First before I remove the glass, should I? The existing gaskets and lockstrips are in great shape and I am wondering if I am going to cause more problems than I am going to eliminate.

Secondly, if I were to remove them, where would I get new gaskets (or can I re-use the existing gaskets) and where would I get new lockstrip to fit? I have looked around and have seen most places are sold out of the gaskets?

Lastly, if (and that is a big if depending on the above 2 questions) what is the process for removing the glass? Do you pull out the existing lockstrip and then the windshield and rear glass will pop out? Or do you need to cut through the gasket also?

Thanks again, and wish me luck this time! It's time to get this project going!

Well after more research and the condition of my gaskets it looks like I am going to re-use the gaskets but will need new lockstrip. I found a few places that seem to have it, but was hoping to find it in all black w/out the chrome. Any suggestions? Also I think I am going to keep the windshield in place and just remove the rear glass in order to get the new headliner installed correctly and help with installation of the new interior panes and so forth.

we are going through the problem, right now, with a 69 Charger. The factory that made the front gasket burnt down. Word is that they will be up, or a place in N Carolina will tool up. 2 months out.

it is a 1966 Barracuda. I am going to remove the rear glass only, and hopefully find replacement lockstrip for the front and the rear. I need to remove the rear in order to get the headliner in right and also it will be easier to tint that thing when it is out!

So after trying to save both the front and rear gaskets, epic fail. They were both dry rotted and whoever had the car before me thought it would be a great idea to put some sort of sealant under the gasket on the windows (front and rear) in order to stop some leaks or something..it ate away the gasket from the inside out. So now I'm looking for front and rear gaskets and lockstrips, or some sort of alternative. Any suggestions?

So far so good, haven't broken anything except whatever sealant they used also got onto a small piece of plastic trim along the rear window behind where the lights mount inside..luckily I have a spare parts car that I'm using the interior from. Also I know have 3 rear windows, and 2 front windshields..just incase something goes wrong during this restoration...Thanks for the link, checking with them right now..

Well, now that this subject is up, Is it necessary to remove the glass in order to properly install a headliner? I want to try a new headliner in my 65 barracuda. Can I still get new front glass for my car? I would like to change the windshield while it's out.
I think the previous owner had the front glass out for painting reasons. The gasket looks good and soft, but the glass is old and nasty. It already has a new lock strip. It does leak though..Maybe I will find the gasket damaged when I take it out.
Got 1 more show to attend before starting winter project on the car. Installing my 8 3/4 rear end...woo hooo.

Dan,
As far as installing the new headliner, yes I would pull the glass for a better fit. I was going to attempt to leave mine in, but after looking at things, figured I should pull it now and just work on everything at the same time. By looking at it, the gasket blocks quite a bit of where you would install the headliner and to get that tight fit, I'd remove it. As for the front windshield, is it cracked? or does it just need a good cleaning? You would be surprised what some fine steel wool with wax will do to glass...

Also since mine are out, I am going to have the back glass limo tinted and the front faded..should be a good look on all black car..

the windsheild has some seperation around the bottom..hazy looking stain between the laminated glass. Several pinhole rock chips and many scratches.. I want to find new glass.

Well if my car was still in it's original city of Stow, Ohio, I'd give you one of my spares.. Unfortunately it is now with me in Sacramento California. Good luck on your search. I also have an 8 3/4 rear in mine, what engine/transmission are you running?

the windsheild has some seperation around the bottom..hazy looking stain between the laminated glass. Several pinhole rock chips and many scratches.. I want to find new glass.

Last time I looked, windshields for A-bodies (the same on all A-bodies of a given year) were easier to find than rear glass for Barracudas (unique to the Barracudas). My local auto glass shop had new windshield glass in stock for my '67, fortunately I brought a new gasket with me because they weren't sure where to get one.

Get the right gasket, change out that old windshield. I was really glad after I changed mine and almost kicked myself for waiting so long.

furydan I have not changed my headliner as of yet but I do know the process. Basically what happens is there are toothed strips along the front and back. They are hidden by the gaskets. In order to properly tighten the headliner down it is MUCH easier with the glass out but I have talked to several people both here and in real life and it is possible but a whole lot more difficult. If you are worried about pulling your own glass and glass shop can do it fairly cheap but I am finding around here at least none want to do the rear glass.

Well if my car was still in it's original city of Stow, Ohio, I'd give you one of my spares.. Unfortunately it is now with me in Sacramento California. Good luck on your search. I also have an 8 3/4 rear in mine, what engine/transmission are you running?

I built one of the 318's with the kb 167 pistons and zero deck block bored 40over. Comp 186 cam with matching lifters and springs.."302" heads with new valve job.
Original 4 speed transmission.
Running stock exhaust manifolds to a dual flowmaster exhaust system.
I am having some fuel starvation problems..bogs out at WOT and stalls when coming to a quick stop. Probably just a clogged filter or sock in the tank. I would like to replace the entire fuel system with 3/8" stuff.

furydan I have not changed my headliner as of yet but I do know the process. Basically what happens is there are toothed strips along the front and back. They are hidden by the gaskets. In order to properly tighten the headliner down it is MUCH easier with the glass out but I have talked to several people both here and in real life and it is possible but a whole lot more difficult. If you are worried about pulling your own glass and glass shop can do it fairly cheap but I am finding around here at least none want to do the rear glass.

I don't want to do the rear glass either....
What do you know about where the headliner bows go in. I see these little triangle shaped clips for sale on ebay all the time that say they hold in the ends of the bows, but my car already has a metal strip with triangle shaped notches that look like the bows go in. I bought the forementioned clips, but can not see where they would need to go.

I don't want to do the rear glass either....
What do you know about where the headliner bows go in. I see these little triangle shaped clips for sale on ebay all the time that say they hold in the ends of the bows, but my car already has a metal strip with triangle shaped notches that look like the bows go in. I bought the forementioned clips, but can not see where they would need to go.

You are correct there are square notches should be four on each side that the bows rest in. Now comes the part you don't want to know. The bows have to go in the same order they came out. I am not sure what the difference it but I think its the length and the amount of bow in the rod.

You are correct there are square notches should be four on each side that the bows rest in. Now comes the part you don't want to know. The bows have to go in the same order they came out. I am not sure what the difference it but I think its the length and the amount of bow in the rod.

Def put them in the same way you took them out! The roof's line changes as it goes from front to back and each bow is cut and shaped to that line.. Luckily I labeled all mine before I took them out. Also, while I have them out, i coated the entire top in por 15, now going to put some Peel and Seal (cheaper dynamat alternative) on there before installing the liner..

Was there any kind of padding on top of the headliner between it and the roof panel? I like the por-15 idea and dynomat stuff, but it looks like there was something glued to my roof panels on top of the headliner. I have a new headliner that has the bows in it. The previous owner had removed the old hl and installed the rods in the new hl in the correct places in order to not mix them up. He just never installed the headliner in the car.

Hi Dan, just thought I would jump in. My son is a Bengals fan and when they were not winning all the time we made a deal. If they won I had to make Sky Line Chili for the next game. We live in North Carolina, but he had some when I took him to Cincinnati a few years back.
The chili is good, but when they win every week it does get a little old. My other son is a Panthers fan and if Carolina won we had pork Barbeque smoked all day on saturday before the game.
This year we have had a lot more chili than barbeque.
Good luck the rest of the year.

Was there any kind of padding on top of the headliner between it and the roof panel? I like the por-15 idea and dynomat stuff, but it looks like there was something glued to my roof panels on top of the headliner. I have a new headliner that has the bows in it. The previous owner had removed the old hl and installed the rods in the new hl in the correct places in order to not mix them up. He just never installed the headliner in the car.

Dan,
I haven't taken removed the other head liner yet, so not sure, mine also had the glue all over it. I am going to put the dynamat on for sure, trying to keep this car as quiet as I can, therefore dynamat the entire interior.

-
Back