Removing heads

-

moparker

Reaction score
The hits keep on comin! Found out while putting on my intake that most of my bolt holes in my heads are stripped. Some look as if they were heli coiled in the past. So I need to remove them and take them to a machine shop to get drilled and tapped. My question is can I lift them by myself? The motor is in the car. I am not weak but, I'm not 25 anymore either. I don't know what a complete head weighs. Thanks:banghead:

If that's all I can handle that. Thanks.

You should have no problem. Just don't over extend your body. Keep the weight close to your chest/midsection once you remove it from the block.

Rest your body on the fender and curl.
Better yet, find a young buck! Pay him in beer. He'll be back for installation.

The hits keep on comin! Found out while putting on my intake that most of my bolt holes in my heads are stripped. Some look as if they were heli coiled in the past. So I need to remove them and take them to a machine shop to get drilled and tapped. My question is can I lift them by myself? The motor is in the car. I am not weak but, I'm not 25 anymore either. I don't know what a complete head weighs. Thanks:banghead:

Don't know what kind of heads they are, but Edelbrock aluminum heads come with heli-coils already installed. If the heli-coils are "stripped" (which I can't even imagine) they will just need to be replaced. You don't even have to remove the head to install a new heli-coil.

Ive been tearing into mine and its only been a couple years since Dad n I put the engine in. A bit of a wakeup call/reminder as to how old Im getting. Drivers side head had to come off with exhaust mani attached. I went to the washroom before I tried removing it.
When installing mark a spot on block and head as to where dowels meet up. Makes it easier on install

I like Rumbles idea but Im pretty stubborn and love my beer.

Cast iron heads. Who knows what has gone on since 71.

I always chase my threads with taps and dies before re-using them...

Helps keep me from using heli-coils...

-
Back