Removing inake

-
I did the kegger on my FI Magnum not too long ago, and was able to just rock it left and right by the throttle body. For lower profile intakes, I've tapped rearward with a dead blow, although sometimes it requires more force than I'm willing to administer. I've also pried, with no ill effect, although it's probably not the best way. I always try to go side to side, not front to rear, though. And not from a corner.

patience and a careful prying under the front and rear where it seals to the block, unless you have a hoist.

I've seen intakes removed by people driving a large blade flat screwdriver either under front of the manifold (engine in car) or under front and back of the manifold (engine on stand). I've also seen screwdrivers driven between the manifold and the head surface.
But I don't like either method because you run the risk of marring the sealing surface of the aluminum intake.
What's worked best for me is to remove the carburetor, stuff a shop rag down into the plenum, pad the top edge of the plenum with another shop rag, and then insert the handle of a long breaker bar or long pickle fork and use as a pry bar to rock the intake side-to-side until it breaks loose.
Simple and won't damage any of the sealing surfaces of the manifold or the plenum.

alrighty. ill use my cherry picker and plate maybe with dead blow. i am not using the screwdriver method. brand new performer air gap is what im taking off. i drop the damn carb stud bolt down in there and couldnt get it with a magnet. sucks too. i just put it on a couple weeks ago. hopefully no more butter fingers. lol

alrighty. ill use my cherry picker and plate maybe with dead blow. i am not using the screwdriver method. brand new performer air gap is what im taking off. i drop the damn carb stud bolt down in there and couldnt get it with a magnet. sucks too. i just put it on a couple weeks ago. hopefully no more butter fingers. lol

Sounds like you don't have all the bolts out..... There are 12 of them.

i got em all out. i just want to be very careful. my old intake was cracked so i just used a hammer claw to pop it off. now that i have a high dollar intake, i dont want to damage anything. im gonna work on it tomorrow. thanks guys

I would go to the hardware store and find a better shaped magnet and epoxy a 1` foot piece of braided cable on it. no reason it shouldnt fish down the runners with a flexible cable on it. Seems like a lot less work.

-
Back