Removing inner fenders

-

Kidd

Reaction score
I have a 62 PLymouth Valiant drag car.It has welded in subframe connectors, and a cross bar across the back seat area for my harness to bolt to. NO cage at all....car is a track only car runs low 12's, and always looking for faster.LOL
I searched on here to help find my info, but couldnt find anything....so here is my question:
Can the inner fenders be removed for weight savings? My thought is NO, as it adds structure. Then yes- lol- as it has connectors......I should add its still a torsion bar car also.
I dont want to make this really long winded, but I want to convert the front to a coil over, and do Wilwood brakes also...so if the shock tower needs support, that will happen at that point.
Any thought or input is helpful....thanks in advance.
Andrew/Kidd

The front frame stubs on these are pretty thin. I say you need additional support. Normally of course this is done by tying into a cage. The thing is you WON'T save any weight. you remove that little bit of sheet metal, LOL, and replace it with additional frame / braces.

Thats the thing.....If I remove it, can it be gone with no added in support. I am sure it needs to stay till I do a cage.....but wanted to ask incase some did it, and didnt do a thing, and is all good.LOL

No the upper shock mounts need that support, unless you got a rms front kit then you could but if your looking for weight look at fiberglass hood, deck lid, doors and bumpers, and there is a member on here that makes aluminum brackets for a fiber glass front bumper to save a bit more weight

My '67 Barracuda has the inner fenders removed.
It has a bar on each side that runs from the cage to the front of the frame rail.
It is a back half car.

It still uses the stock front end.
The shock mounts can be separated from the sheet metal & are a thick gauge steel.

This car has been a racecar for a lot of years.
No concerns with twisting or flex.
Car weighs 2860 without driver, has a glass hood & trunk lid with lexan all the way round.
Iron headed small block.

Oh yea, access is fantastic.

Yes but he doesn't have a cage yet, if he did yea do exactly what you did. But I think he wants to do it without the cage from what I understand.

Yes, without a cage.....but it looks like I will have to wait till I do that. I have a glass hood and bumpers....weight saving is what I am after, and the ability to take the front off as a unit, for access like stated above.
I have seen 1 car with the fender aprons cut out.....I was going to ask the guy, but the car was new to him, and the cuts looked like they were all made with a torch, so I didnt want to get into a tech conversation and learn there was no subframe connectors or something.LOL
I would like to do aluminum bumper brackets for my car......what member does those?

Andrew

Yes, without a cage.....but it looks like I will have to wait till I do that. I have a glass hood and bumpers....weight saving is what I am after, and the ability to take the front off as a unit, for access like stated above.
I have seen 1 car with the fender aprons cut out.....I was going to ask the guy, but the car was new to him, and the cuts looked like they were all made with a torch, so I didnt want to get into a tech conversation and learn there was no subframe connectors or something.LOL
I would like to do aluminum bumper brackets for my car......what member does those?

Andrew

Motorhead446 makes the aluminum bumper brackets as well as aluminum fender struts.
Yes you can make your own but I seriously doubt they would be as nice as these are.
They are cut on a water cutting machine. These are a bargain for how nice they are.

Duane

-
Back