Removing Old Stripes

-

Sully1190

Look. It's a Gold Duster.
Reaction score
I have a 74 Gold Duster that we're recreating, and it's getting near time to be working on paint. However. It has the typical gold duster stripes, and we would like the regular ole duster stripes.

Is there a secret trick to removing these? Other than just sanding/peeling? Is there any chemical or kit that can take them off faster.

if you're gonna be repainting everything just use a nice sharp razorblade to peel the vinyl stripes off, thats what i did should work good:)

I would try a good quality heat gun. Just be careful not to get the metal too hot.

3M stripe remover spray it on wipe it off Also, they make an adhesive remover for the gooey stuff under the vinyl. Wont affect the paint if it is decent
63-11374.jpg

41229d1195963300-adhesive-removal-3m-general-purpose-adhesive-cleaner.jpg

Awesome. Thanks guys. Good to know that there's something I can try other than sitting out there with my exacto knife for hours.

3M makes a "stripe off" wheel...or something to that name. Its like a big round eraser that goes into a striaght die grinder. Turn down the RPM's some, and go to town...they work really well and wont mess up the paint. Napa sells them...

Heres what I was talking about...couldnt find them on Napas website though...Ive bought them in the past at Napa.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/3M-Stripe-Wheel-07498-Hardware/dp/B00063VT0G"]http://www.amazon.com/3M-Stripe-Wheel-07498-Hardware/dp/B00063VT0G[/ame]

Thought I woul just update this as a point of reference for anyone interested...

So, I went to the Napa, and they had two kinds of wheels at their warehouse. One, was a conglomeration of small, thin rubber wheels, but that one was missing a piece in its packaging, so I wouldn't have been able to attach it to a drill. The second was a solid wheel, but was going to cost ALOT more.

The people at the store were lazy, and not helpful, so I just left.

Oriely's lists one on their website called the "tractor tire" but none of the local places carried one, so, I decided to borrow a friend's heat gun, and get to work.

Oh, my friends... If you decide to go this route, buckle down for the long haul.

It was an incredibly slow, painstaking process to remove the stripe with a heat gun and small scraper. I removed just as much painst as I did stripe, and it doesn't remove the glue left behind, only the vinyl itself, so you will have to sand the whole area down afterwards.

I finally got it done, but man, was it some work. Probably have about 6-8 hours total just in removing those stripes. Also, on the very end, at the very last bit of the rear quarter panel, the Heatgun died. Permanently.

Not really relevant, but I just thought I'd toss it in.

In retrospect, I might have gambled the money on the rubber wheel, but I don't really see how it could have taken these hellish things off.

Contact bremereric on the site, or BBD he removed the stripes on his R/T. I don't remember what he used, but I'm sure he'l give you the low down.

Thanks, I'll keep the link for future projects. Thankfully, I won't have to do it again for a long time, I think.

-
Back