Removing paint w/o melting plastic???

-

Suregrip391

Reaction score
Guys, Im sure you have been down this road? I need to paint the lower part of my dash in the 69 barracuda (the silver part) and I need to remove the old flaking off paint. I used some loctite chemical (gasket remover) on a sample piece of painted plastic and it eats the paint off within 10-20 seconds, one catch though...It melts and distorts the plastic! I tried the same with nail polish remover and got simular results only not as bad on the plastic but I still had to be careful!!! Is there anything out there that can be used to take the paint off without melting the dash??.....

bh15.JPG

Aaron,
Instead of stripping why not sand it down carefully by hand. Yea it'll take longer but your plastic should stay intact. My .02.
Jeff

Suregrip391, try using oven cleaner. I used this on model cars to remove very old paint, it also removes the chrome plated plastic too. It worked great and was safe to use on plastic. It is a foam spray in a can, you can wipe, or rinse it off. Using a tooth brush will help in the tight areas. This will work nice but you are trying to do a small area it will be tough, easier to do the whole dash bezel, then repaint it all. This will remove the chrome plating but would be cheaper fix till it can be done right. If you only want to redo the silver painted area, then I would try sanding it. Good luck!

if the part is to be removed,you can find a company that uses plastic beed shot for blasting andmask all the good areas off.We udes plastic meadium for removing paint on wheel and would not leave any marks on the metal,just reduce the pressure and test with low PSI and work up,Mrmopartech

I found a product at the hobby shop called Polly S ELO (easy lift off) paint and decal remover that is used for removing paint and decals from plastic models. It is safe and effective and cost about $4.00.

Thanks for all the great tips guys. I think I will find my way into a hobby store and try the paint remover safe for plastics technique. When I took the dash apart I noticed I was missing some bulb sockets. I posted the request in the parts wanted pages if anyone has any kickin around they want to part with???.....Does this hobby ever end....*sigh* Thanks guys!

Aaron

Im going to try the oven cleaner first, I think the wife has some..Oh wait! She is the oven cleaner (Ha!~ :pirat: just kidding) If that does not work to well, Im off to the hobby store for the paint removal stuff...

-
Back