Removing rear seat in a Dart

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All:

Does anyone have any tips for removing the rear seat in a 71 Dart? I need to pull it to install hanger bolts for my exhaust.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Push the seat bottom down and kick it back with your knee. It'll pop out of the bracket. There are two, one on each side. The seat back just unbolts at the bottom and hangs from clips at the top. Easy as pie.

Isn't the seat back bolted in? If so, can you just get to the bolts by pressing down on the seat bottom?

Thanks for all the responses.
Steve

Some are bolted I believe. Others just have a small strip of metal bent over holding it. I usually remove one of the arm rests back there to make it come out a little easier

Some are bolted I believe. Others just have a small strip of metal bent over holding it. I usually remove one of the arm rests back there to make it come out a little easier
Seat Back First!:cheers:
That sounds so much easier than hiring 2 bodybuilding "little people" to wrestle the bottom out first! I always hated taking my back seat out, and now my muscular son is no longer at home...................
Thanks Again Guys!

The bottom needs to come out first. Like Joe said, tyheres t metal tabs bent over holding the bacl in place that you cant get to with th ebottom in.

The seat back was bolted into the body on both my 72 Demon and 73 Dart. Remove the lower cushion first. Push the bottom edge towards the rear of the car (hard) and lift up. No tools are needed.

If the car is a two door and you have side armrests in the rear, remove the arrmrests (4-doors, just open the doors). There are two strips of metal coming down from the back rest frame. You may have to go under some soundproofing (like I did on the 73) to find the bolt that secures each strip of metal to the body. Remove the bolt. Push up at the bottom of the seat back and pull the top towards you.

Reverse the sequence to re-install.

I got the bottom out last night. Didn't have enough time to start messing with the back. The seat was surprisingly heavy.

Man, underneath the seat is CLEAN. Immaculate factory chalk marks and all. My car is awesome. :)

Of course that means these seat belt bolts haven't been out in 37 years........

Well, mine has tabs rather than bolts. Am I supposed to bend the tabs back or is there some other trick?

-
Back