Removing Steering Shaft 1966 Barracuda

-

robodhran

Reaction score
Hi. Just put the engine back in the other day....but....forgot :BangHead:, that the left-side exhaust manifold doesn't fit in between block and steering box and shaft....

Any idea, how to manage putting on the manifold without manipulating the engine again?

I am thinking about removing the steering shaft out of the coupler and the bracket that goes through the firewall... ?

Doing that, I hope to get enough space to put the manifold in place.

Thanks, Robert

Coupler.JPG

It's difficult for sure. It sounds like you have manual steering?

If you have the steering shaft in place already and are trying to get the manifold around it, you'll have to remove the steering shaft first. It would be better not to pull apart the coupler because it's difficult to place the seal and cover back in place while in the car.

It's better to pop out the roll pin right next to the master spline (it only wants to remove one way, so you'll have to rotate the steering wheel/shaft until you can get access) and the remove the column and shaft as a single unit. Do yourself a favor and clearly mark the coupler to the splines.

Then disconnect and remove the whole steering column and shaft as a single unit from the interior. Or at least pull it back far enough to install the manifold. Then reinstall it using your previously made marks.

On my '65 Barracuda I've been in and out of that left-side manifold more times than I would even have wanted. I feel your pain.

Hi. Just put the engine back in the other day....but....forgot :BangHead:, that the left-side exhaust manifold doesn't fit in between block and steering box and shaft....

Any idea, how to manage putting on the manifold without manipulating the engine again?

I am thinking about removing the steering shaft out of the coupler and the bracket that goes through the firewall... ?

Doing that, I hope to get enough space to put the manifold in place.

Thanks, Robert

View attachment 1714939445

Well, thanks! This sounds like a reasonable solution. It is power steering.

2014-10-03 2014-10-03 001 1129.jpg

Oh, the conversions I've had my '65. Manual to power steering, different power steering boxes, Hi-Po exhaust manifold, 273 manifold, and finally Doug's headers. And then in and out with a Borgeson steering box and hydroboost. One would think that I could learn after a while but I never seem to. Anyway, yes - the procedure is exactly the same with power steering.

p.s. I dig your vacuum reservoir.

Thanks to your recommendations it was simple to get that exhaust manifold in place.
The roll pin was easy to remove. Just wacked it out with a iron rod and hammer. It doesn't matter what side you start. The pin is straight. Did mark the spline position with a white marker, before removing the bracket of the steering column. It slid out like butter. Thanks a lot.

Turning the shaft in position
2016-06-03 11.17.10.jpg

Hammering the roller pin out
2016-06-03 11.22.19.jpg

The pin removed with the iron rod
2016-06-03 11.25.12.jpg

Installing manifold
2016-06-03 13.24.22.jpg

Getting ready to put it in again (see white marks)
2016-06-03 14.03.56.jpg

Pin installed (white marks in correct position again)
2016-06-03 14.08.44.jpg

not much space on driver's side.
2016-06-03 14.10.34.jpg

These pictures go on my restoration thread "1966 Barracuda car ****" as well 8 ))

Absolutely GREAT!! Am currently enjoying not removing that manifold. You did a nice job making the original manifold pretty. Not looking forward to putting the 273 manifold back in as I would like some power/speed. Should I do Sanderson headers instead? I don't like the money part but it seems like a better solution since it's about the same effort.
Am putting a JEGS manual steering gear box in prior to the 360 (for racing-sorta).

I was on the Sanderson site a couple days ago, and they do not make the DD9 headers any more.
I was interested also, as I am getting a 360 ready for my 66 B-Cuda. There is a thread in the exhaust forum that mentions it.
Dave

-
Back