Removing the gasket from spark plugs?

-

57dodged100

Reaction score
I'm going to install the NGK ZFR5N spark plugs in my slant six. I have read on the FABO that I need to remove the washers/gaskets. What is the best way to do this with out damaging the threads on the plug? They don't seem to thread off easily.

I'm going to install the NGK ZFR5N spark plugs in my slant six. I have read on the FABO that I need to remove the washers/gaskets. What is the best way to do this with out damaging the threads on the plug? They don't seem to thread off easily.

I have dun this 6 times :D The washer will indeed come off, I a pair of channel locks and just carefully pull as you unscrew it, it will have to jump on to a thread and then it will unscrew like a crossed threaded nut but much easier :coffee2:, Do you have drool tubes on your /6 engine ? tubes that the spark plugs go in ? if not you need to use the washers.. let me find a picture of when I did mine .

Here is something to look at, once you see how to manipulate the first one you will see it is easy

Attachments

• Picture 222 011.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 705
Ok, i guess i should verify with you guys. I have a stock '72 Scamp 225 Slant. I was under the impression that all the slants until '74 had the spark plug tubes that requires removal of the gaskets. Current plugs from prior owner still have the washers on. Should I remove washers?

I couldn't get mine to thread off so I just grabbed some needle nose pliers and just twist until it snaps. Doesn't take much effort. Might have to do this in a couple places with how the washers are constructed and the size of your needle nose. Didn't damage the plugs at all.

I was under the impression that all the slants until '74 had the spark plug tubes that requires removal of the gaskets. Current plugs from prior owner still have the washers on. Should I remove washers?
Correct, but haven't you looked at your head closely to verify? I would remove the spark plug tubes and check the rubber gaskets, indeed have those at hand to replace (cheap), then your "drool tube head" won't drool. If your head does have plug tubes, remove the metal gasket on the spark plug. If you don't, the plug will be slightly recessed, which would still work, just not optimal.

Correct, but haven't you looked at your head closely to verify? I would remove the spark plug tubes and check the rubber gaskets, indeed have those at hand to replace (cheap), then your "drool tube head" won't drool. If your head does have plug tubes, remove the metal gasket on the spark plug. If you don't, the plug will be slightly recessed, which would still work, just not optimal.

I had looked at my head, when I removed the plugs to check them. This is my first slant 6, so I'm trying not to "assume" anything. Based on my year (engine block number is consistent with 1972) and looking at my plug holes (picture below) I believe I have the plug tubes. But, in all honesty, I've never looked at a later block to personally "know" how they look without tubes (I can imagine). I have read about replacing the tube gaskets, and I don't doubt that would be wise. However, I hadn't planned on doing so since the engine only has 36K miles and they aren't leaking much yet. I may have the drool tubes, but they aren't drooling!

Can someone share a picture of the heads WITHOUT the spark plug tubes?

I'm headed to Mopar Nats this weekend, I'll try to find one in person to look at!

Thanks everyone for the tips so far.

photo.JPG

That's the drool tube head alright, no need for washers.

I stuck the plug in a spark plug socket, grabbed the gasket with channel locks and used the ratchet and socket to unscrew the plug out of the gasket.

There is an excellent writeup on the spark plug tubes, gaskets, and best plugs to buy on the AllPar site:
www.allpar.com/fix/spark-plug-tubes.html
It will answer all questions and is written for a newbie. SlantSixDan here was a main contributor.
Now you can answer the next guy when this question gets asked again next week (by somebody who didn't use "Search").

Do you hit the "Search" button everytime you have a question bill ?
Your not the Messiah,get off the guys back. He's entitled to his question.

So what is the purpose!!!!!! I must be getting old .

you remove the washers as stated the tube acts as the washer. not the reason you NEED to is because the pulg can overheat with the washer and tube installed.

as far as i know the "peanut" head (no tubes) take a completely different 5/8" plug...

Do you hit the "Search" button everytime you have a question bill ?
Usually I do.
,get off the guys back. He's entitled to his question.
Pretty obvious that I was referring to the next guy who doesn't find this post. It is a long-standing tradition in all cultures to ridicule the next guy, so I don't see where I violated any social norms.
Your not the Messiah
Drats, you fingered me Johnny. How did you find out I've been campaining to be recognized as the next Dalai Lamai? However, those shrewd Tibetans keep saying I'm too old. I don't resemble paintings of J.C. (though I was born in a barn), so maybe I'll try for the 13th hidden Imam or Shiva the Destroyer.[/QUOTE]

-
Back