Repainting engines?

-

billytuffnuts

Reaction score
Ok, I'll admit when I painted my engine I did a pretty poor job of prepping and just used the cheap spray can engine paint from the parts store. After a couple years, its looking pretty dismal and is coming off in some areas.

I was wondering how I would go about repainting it without disassembling the entire motor? And how would you go about removing the paint thats already on there? Any tips?

Ok, I'll admit when I painted my engine I did a pretty poor job of prepping and just used the cheap spray can engine paint from the parts store. After a couple years, its looking pretty dismal and is coming off in some areas.

I was wondering how I would go about repainting it without disassembling the entire motor? And how would you go about removing the paint thats already on there? Any tips?

I just read an article in Mopar Enthusiast? about doing a repaint on engines...I will look for it....

I just read an article in Mopar Enthusiast? about doing a repaint on engines...I will look for it....

Mopar Enthusiast magazine, Feb. 2010 issue, pgs. 55-57. Good article details how to paint your engine to last, no rattlecans.

here is what the article uses..

epoxy primer and then a high solids urathane paint. like th u-tech 3.8. djvcuda wrote the article. he sprayed my motor the same way a few years ago and it is awesome paint man. will hold up to just about anything.

as far as stripping the old paint? wire wheels, paint stripper , brake clean... a combination of those should get ya what you want.

here ya go,,,

before...

DSC02180.jpg

DSC02202.jpg

all clean

5-11-05002.jpg

5-11-05001.jpg

primed

5-11-05011.jpg

painted

5-11-05018.jpg

5-17-05001.jpg

done

DSC09924.jpg

DSC02551.jpg

DP gray epoxy primer, Acrylic enamel color. This is Omni, but I prefer ppg Delstar acrylic enamel mixed to match your engine color.

000_0016-1.jpg

000_0014.jpg

-
Back