Repainting my 68 Barracuda fastback

-

Wildturkey168

Reaction score
I read a thread from jrlegacy23 regarding his quandry about what color to paint his 72 Dart. I'm in the same place with a 1968 Barracuda F/B that has a hunter green interior, and has been yellow (SS1) since birth. I've owned it since 1984 and have finally made the decision to recolor it. I'm leaning towards the snakeskin green from the Vipor fame, but the Green with Envy has really caught my eye also. would like to hear from jr to see what he decided on.

Welcome to Fabo!

The green interior is very limiting on your choices. I am not a fan of the two wild greens you mentioned, but I am old fart.
I loved that yellow back in the day, as it was very complimentory to the lines of the Barracuda.
(I was talked into the Viper Red on my car, wish I hadn't, and painted it silver) My favorite colors on these cars is a Silver or Maroonish wine color. But in your case, with the green interior, maybe a buckskin color would look good?

While buying the wife another RAV 4 I noticed that the entire lot was white, some shade of gray, brown, couple of blues,and ofcourse black and red. Not one yellow, green, orange, out there.
When we walked back to there holding area there was a new Camry with a beautiful metallic green paint. I told my salesman "Man you need to Get that car outside immediately. Put it on a corner where it can be seen".
This was about 3: pm. He called me about 10:30 the next morning to tell me they sold it.

I personally don't care for those new colors. Here is my 68 in SS1.

Great color in my opinion.

100_1936.jpg

DSC00055.jpg

Yellow does appear to work on the FB fish .
Did you say that your car came from the factory Yellow over Green interior ?
I'd like to see that . My 70 Charger is EW1 (white) with Green interior and I
think it looks sharp .
Personally , I don't think I'd go the same color inside and out unless it came from the factory that way. Too much of one color... (unless it's black/black..)

Though there's quite a few on this board who don't agree with my paint choice, I opted for 1970 LimeLight for my '68 Fastback which was originally a very boring F8 green with a white interior.

After a few years of mechanical work, I spent awhile doing Corel Paintshop research (I scanned a line drawing page from a Chilton's manual and loaded it onto my computer where one click would change the whole car color) ... maybe it was just me, but I wanted the color to be bright enough that some old fart wouldn't pull out in front of me totaling my baby and claim "I didn't see you!"

If someone claims they couldn't see THIS, they shouldn't be driving at all.

View attachment Copy of 102_0495 FABO profile size.jpg

maybe it was just me, but I wanted the color to be bright enough that some old fart wouldn't pull out in front of me totaling my baby and claim "I didn't see you!"

View attachment 246437
Hey,
I am an old fart and all I see is two trees and red-headed chick holding here hand out about three foot off the ground....
I would never claim "I didn't see you!"
TXDart
May be colored blinded but not blind...

Thanks for everyone's two cents worth.
Mine is currently in a nice shade of primer grey, but for all its life looked just like " 1968FormulaS340" in the pictures below.
I have to agree with CudaChick1968 though that the green looks pretty catchy (and I agree with TXDart that she looks catchy too), and I'm really leaning towards Snakeskin green from the Viper line.
I've worked very hard to maintain 100% original, but since then I realize that the value of the car is not going to be adversely affected by this color change, I'm really leaning that way.
Tell me Mr. 1968FormulaS340, do you ever get the comments that I used to get, which is "nice car shame about the color"? Its one of those either you love it or hate it, no middle ground.
Attached is what it looks like today, and also a picture of the likely future color.
WT,Dave

Attachments

• snakeskinvenom1000ttlead.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 177
  • P1000841.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 165
  • P1000843.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 148
Though there's quite a few on this board who don't agree with my paint choice, I opted for 1970 LimeLight for my '68 Fastback which was originally a very boring F8 green with a white interior.

After a few years of mechanical work, I spent awhile doing Corel Paintshop research (I scanned a line drawing page from a Chilton's manual and loaded it onto my computer where one click would change the whole car color) ... maybe it was just me, but I wanted the color to be bright enough that some old fart wouldn't pull out in front of me totaling my baby and claim "I didn't see you!"

View attachment 246437
What car?

-
Back