Repainting Twin scoops and go wing

-

Dartswinger70

Reaction score
What is the standard procedure for the twin scoops and go wing paint . I am thinking they should match and I'm thinking a satin black. can it be rattle can or spray gun paint any suggestions? Also does anybody prefer hood black out or body color for scoops what is the go to and what was factory etc. also if you wer to go wit satin what is the primer how many coats any sealer etc? These parts arent metal so thats why I ask.

im watching this, my scoops were delivered today and my wing is finally shipping next week after a 2 1/2 month wait, i bet @Oldmanmopar will know... Rich

Organisol

20230711_173529.jpg

im watching this, my scoops were delivered today and my wing is finally shipping next week after a 2 1/2 month wait, i bet @Oldmanmopar will know... Rich
did you order new or repro? Ill need the fastener kit for my original scoops and that is pricey...for bolts LOL! I did get the proper trunk lid and brackets for the go wing it was originally "hack" bolted on to a non wing lid.

strip off the black paint or primer and begin again . had issues with these scoops and wing until i stripped it down .

DSC05239.JPG

DSC05240.JPG

DSC05241.JPG

DSC05242.JPG

DSC05123.JPG

DSC06785.JPG

DSC06787.JPG

DSC06788.JPG

DSC06789.JPG

DSC06790.JPG

Are some of those scoops black, and some body color? I've never seen it definitively answered which is where, and when.
and to who.

This is a formula from DuPont (now Axalta) at least 20 years ago. At that time they could mix the organsol color. IIRC, I used the same primer for hood and scoops.

DartHoodPaint1.jpg

DartHoodPaint2.jpg

DartHoodPaint3.jpg

Organisil has a very, very light texture. Looks like a sheet of 360 wet to 220 wet black sand papers. Keep in mind decals were on hoods and E Body spoiler. Not rough.
It also has a metal flake look. That is what makes it look rougher than it is.
Has a combo of Black, Gray, Silver Argent, kinda flake look to it. I still gave some Old PPG on the self.
And have shot more than.the average guy on hoods, spoilers, scoops.
It stripes easy if you don't know how.
Best to prime, sand and or seal before you paint it. Or paint it black before.
I Think a lot of painters trying to get AAR-T/A hoods, spoilers. 71 Duster Blacked out hoods, top fenders-doors, same for Twister look. Paint is done real rough textured to try and get the look.
I shot plenty at the body shop back in the day.

this semi egg shell black is a lacquer paint two pair epoxy product , it does shine abit when its waxed . but very chip resistant , and very tough finish .

DSC00367.JPG

DSC08631.JPG

I thought the hood was all black or all body color on the 70 Dart. Is this true?

this semi egg shell black is a lacquer paint two pair epoxy product , it does shine abit when its waxed . but very chip resistant , and very tough finish .

View attachment 1716200216

View attachment 1716200218
Lacquer is not epoxy.
It is lacquer paint mixed to color, a single stage that can also be cleared. And is reduced with a high quality lacquer thinner to get the right viscosity to spray it. As as well as right temp thinner.
Slow, Medium, Fast. No gardener is used. Lawyer is not epoxy. No activator used.
The Cheap Dulpicolor lacquer paint sold in quarts at auto parts stores. But are pre thinned so requires no thinner ready to spray. Most major brands like PPG, DuPont requires the paint reduced to spray.

Last edited:
nope it was a company call lacquer finish products for industry and manufacture use . it's a two part system . it comes as is color was . they produce colors of their own , not matched to any company or manufacturer . i'll look for that gallon can it came in , no quarts from this company . i found it at a retail automotive paint supplier in santa cruz calif . but sad to say it's not around any longer . but i'm sure the product is still around .

nope it was a company call lacquer finish products for industry and manufacture use . it's a two part system . it comes as is color was . they produce colors of their own , not matched to any company or manufacturer . i'll look for that gallon can it came in , no quarts from this company . i found it at a retail automotive paint supplier in santa cruz calif . but sad to say it's not around any longer . but i'm sure the product is still around .
Does not matter even PPG sold premixed 9300 black.
You missed the point if lacquer it is not an epoxy product. No chemical reaction.
Read up on paint types.

can't find the used can , of course it has been nearly twenty years since i squirted that car , i did find a company in los angles had uses the name , only it's called southern california lacquer , as the display bucks that look like the colors that where offered , same still bucks that i remember . i'm well aware of the different types of materials i've shot paint on cars since i was 14 years old , i'm now 68 . i'm sure i'm not in error . and just because a company calls itself lacquer does not mean that all they produst , @340six check your facts before you write . maybe YOU should read up on the companies that produce finish materials .

@Oldmanmopar.... I would like to add the decals to my hood, im refering to the hood ladder decal and then paint the rest of the hood in your ford black paint, the stripe ladder decal is matte black, is that the same as flat black? will your paint match my ladder decal. Im getting the ladder decal from performance car graphics and my car is a 71 Duster clone...Rich

can't find the used can , of course it has been nearly twenty years since i squirted that car , i did find a company in los angles had uses the name , only it's called southern california lacquer , as the display bucks that look like the colors that where offered , same still bucks that i remember . i'm well aware of the different types of materials i've shot paint on cars since i was 14 years old , i'm now 68 . i'm sure i'm not in error . and just because a company calls itself lacquer does not mean that all they produst , @340six check your facts before you write . maybe YOU should read up on the companies that produce finish materials .
Certified painter here. Trust me lacquer is not epoxy.
I am done. Not going to fight with you about it. Go read about paint.

I thought the hood was all black or all body color on the 70 Dart. Is this true?
Not all black - the V21 option on 70 Darts runs the black from body ridge to body ridge on the hood and carries the black over the cowl and under the lower windshield trim. Whether you paint the whole hood or do the factory pattern, carry the black to the windshield - IMHO it looks cheap not to do it... Here's the pattern although applied in gloss, and a copy of the factory assembly showing the pattern

IMG_1156.JPG

DSC00824.JPG

paint break at the body ridge on the hood
DSC00825.JPG

wrapping the paint into the gap between hood and cowl
DSC00826.JPG

DSC00827.JPG

Certified painter here. Trust me lacquer is not epoxy.
I am done. Not going to fight with you about it. Go read about paint.
Lacquer paint is solvent based. Reduced to be usable viscosity by another solvent and spray away.
Enamel and better Acrylic enamel. Reduced, and hardener is used as a catalyst.
Probably what you are calling epoxy witch it is not. And probably what you used 20 years ago.

i never said lacquer was an epoxy material . i said the company was called lacquer not the material , expert painter @340six . or ya have you bothered to research southern california lacquer company , maybe you should look them up , it could bring you up to speed regarding company names . as your an expert painter . and giving info is not a fight .

You said you used an epoxy. Read what you said
Look I use name brand Evercoat fillers, primers. PPG epoxy dp40lf green, dp90lf black (Also comes in white) on top, Then as a sealer prior to paint. You think it with required reducers.
And R-M, PPG, DuPont and SEM paints. No off brand stuff.
They have lower cost lines in major brands. And House Of Color Kandy concentrate and pearls you add to clears and then use straight clear.

I am not going to have a debate with a guy who shot a can quart can of off brand paint 20 years ago about how little I know.

To.the OP good luck with your project

Not ragging on anyone but the word lacquer is pretty much meaningless. I think of it as a thick clear coat used to paint wood. Some use it referring to products available 40+ years ago that are nla and some are referring to modern clear coat and everything in between. Just an old guy's pet peeve :)

-
Back