Repair strut rod threads

-

Shermdog

Reaction score
So the treads on one of my strut rods failed hard during installation and cross threaded to absolute death. Is it possible to weld the treads up and recut them, or are they hardened and I'm out of luck?

IMG_20170923_192211.jpg

Either way it would probably be alot safer to invest in new ones. I'd say its a good excuse to get some nice adjustable ones.

That being said, welding and setting up a lathe to turn it down then rethread would be a task. If you have the machines to do so maybe it would work, but paying a machinist to take care of it,you would be money ahead buying new ones.

Obviously they arent very hard, looking at the damaged threads. I just cleaned up my rear shock mounts, threads are pretty soft.

LMAO! Well, like above, but if you have the skills and machines to take the time.....
I'm not sure of what exact metal they used for the part

IMO, I would just grab new ones. Nothing like fresh material over something 30-40-50 years now old.

ouch,
I just chased the treads on my right side rod last month after cross treading incident. . They were no were near this. I think replacement is in order.

Welder and lathe are available, but to everyone's point, getting new ones is probably the right move. Just super bummed to be set back and have to drop more cash.

Even if the bar isn't hardened the weld would be. You couldn't just twist a die over a weld.

Yeah hand tools next time. And don't have the part under load. Hang the suspension in the air first.

Shouldn't really be a question. Damaged suspension components should be replaced. Too much risk.

Started with this. So you can see my level of detail work in the finished product

20170430_134003.jpg

Ordered up some adjustable ones. Going with bigger torsion bars and offset bushings, so I imagine they'll come in handy.

-
Back