Repairing a dented Swinger 1969 door

-

jarkka

Reaction score
Hellou!

I have a 1969 Swinger, originally a slant 6 car, where I need
to repair drivers door. It was hit from behind when the door was open
and the driver was between it and door opening. Luckily nothing happened to the driver!
I'm thinking to change the outer skin of that door but I cannot find anyone who supplies it. There are a lot of lower skin suppliers but nothing else.
If anyone knows a link/name to a supplier who can deliver complete outer skin?
Here are some images of that door.

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

Those doors are just too common still. I dont think the aftermarket will offer skins any time soon, maybe never. Most would just replace the door. Good luck either way.

Those doors are just too common still. I dont think the aftermarket will offer skins any time soon, maybe never. Most would just replace the door. Good luck either way.

i agree. too easy to find a used door to bolt on there.

I would fix it. Being where you are it might cost a small fortune to ship it there. I would think that you could get to it from the inside and push alot of it out. I would start there and try to get it pushed out first then if you cant get it straight enough then try to get a dent puller. That will get the rest of it out.

Agreed that if you were on this side of the world it would be easy to replace. A stud puller, body hammer and dolly may be your best bet.

Thank you for your replies! I was beginning to think by the
same way that there are no suppliers...But had to ask, you never know!
At this moment I have my car in a storing place where are not
allowed to do any kind of fire work so I have to find a good
welder.
On the other way this car is not a restoration project so one alternative
can be fiberglass doors.
Thank's for the links to your own projects! After having a look on both
Duster sites I must say you have done a very nice job!
Well, it is time to introduce myself on the "Welcome wagon"

Many of us at one time or another have worked on our cars while at storage facilities. In your case, you can just pull the door off to have work done on it. BTW: I am wondering how much a door coming from Germany or the Netherlands would cost to ship to you (perhaps just a bare door with no internals in order to save weight. We have some really nice members there. Good luck.

Thanks for this advice! I suppose that freight costs from EU area are not very high. If it is an empty door it won't weigh more than 20kg's. Maybe someone on the list know if they have drivers side door for sale. Then can we check out freight costs.

I have the same car with the same dent on the same door.

Use a hammer and dollly to get the edge straight. You will need to keep the door on the car for this. Check by closing the door and seeing how it matches up to the contour of the rear 1/4 panel.

Then get a stud welder and weld studs to the low spots. Gently and slowly pull out the low spots, keeping an eye on the edge so it doesn't get too distorted.

With some patience, the door will look great, just needing a thin coat of filler, and you will still have the original door.

If you buy another door, 1969 doors are different from 67 & 68's due to the location of the door lock button.

Good luck.

I have the same car with the same dent on the same door.

Use a hammer and dollly to get the edge straight. You will need to keep the door on the car for this. Check by closing the door and seeing how it matches up to the contour of the rear 1/4 panel.

Then get a stud welder and weld studs to the low spots. Gently and slowly pull out the low spots, keeping an eye on the edge so it doesn't get too distorted.

With some patience, the door will look great, just needing a thin coat of filler, and you will still have the original door.

If you buy another door, 1969 doors are different from 67 & 68's due to the location of the door lock button.

Good luck.
Thank's for clear advices, let's see what I can do with a hammer and a dolly. The rest must left some prof. welder.
Welding denied where my car is stored at the moment. That place is nuc. bomb shield, it is 300 feets underground. Made during cold war decade 1960.
Still a good place to store cars, very good A/C, constant temperature...

Thank you for clear advices! Let's see what I can do with a hammer and a dolly. The rest must be left to some prof. welder. Welding is denied where I store my car. The place is an old nuc. bomb shield 300 feet underground, it was done during cold war decade 1960. Still a good place to store cars. Constant temperature, good A/C.

looks like a straight forward repair, couple hours and it should be in primer

-
Back