replace bench with buckets?

-

phaelax

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their bench seat with bucket seats? Do you need new hardware to mount them? Recommendations where I can find new or restored seats?

A bunch of us have, and this is my 73 Dart Swinger with BMW Recaro Sport seats.
My Brother and I made the adapter brackets for them with 1x1 box steel, as they were actually made for a flat floor (which we obviously don't have) :D

If I remember right the two front inner mounts are on the floorpan, the front outter mounts are spaced 1 inch, the inner rear corners are spaced 2 inches and the rear outters are spaced 3 inches because of the dropoff next to the doors.

We thought about making one big flat frame to mount the seats on and building a console box between them but didn't end up going that way, and made separate mounts for each seat.

Attachments

• seats1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 478
  • 2aSmall.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 458
On bucket seat cars the factory installed a square metal plate on the floor on the inside bolt holes next to the center hump. It was to reinforce the thin floor, the outside holes are already reinforced. You should do the same no matter what seats you put in.

Looks like I'll have some measuring to do. Fabricating some brackets shouldn't be too difficult, I was a metal worker in the army. And thanks for the tip doc.

At first I was thinking of just finding some original duster seats, but seeing your bmw seats in there (looks real nice), I found these Jaguar seats on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/181495788938?lpid=82&chn=ps

I'd have to run some wires for power and the heating switch, but I have an S-type R and I know these seats are super comfortable and fully adjustable.

It might be awhile before I get the seats, but I'm already making some sketches for a center console. Could anyone measure the distance between their bucket seats for me? Just so I have a rough idea how much space I have to work with and start coming up with some design ideas. (I do 3d models before I make just about anything)

It might be awhile before I get the seats, but I'm already making some sketches for a center console. Could anyone measure the distance between their bucket seats for me? Just so I have a rough idea how much space I have to work with and start coming up with some design ideas. (I do 3d models before I make just about anything)

I am putting stock buckets in my 67 cuda. It was a bench seat car. I made the reinforcements out of 1/16 " plate i had lying around. The floor has clues as to where the plates go on the inboard sides. Floor has joggled metal for the reinforcements, and dimples where the holes need to be for the tracks.

I can take and send you pix of mine. I copied them off a set in a buddies dart GTS. Just PM me, i can send you pix.

Odd thing but the metal plates you get with metal basement support posts work rather nicely

On bucket seat cars the factory installed a square metal plate on the floor on the inside bolt holes next to the center hump. It was to reinforce the thin floor, the outside holes are already reinforced. You should do the same no matter what seats you put in.

Yes sir. That's what has to be done. My 66 Dart has factory buckets and no reinforcement close to the transmission hump. The drivers side floor pan is breaking apart. They must have changed to reinforcement bars in 67. tmm

If you're still dating, might want to hold off changing that bench!! Check out Cakes song "Stickshifts and Safety belts"!!!

You'll need to install whatever seats you'll have before measuring for a console.

zigs what are the measurements on those plates? I need to reinforce my floors

tom

bucket seats sit lower than a bench.

If your a tall person then it wont matter but if your vertically challenged then that will be something to consider.

I noticed it in my 68 dart which was a bench seat car and I drove it for a few months with the bench. Then when the buckets went in, I was noticeably lower and it became a lot tougher to see the leading edge of the hood without a pillow.

Probably not an issue for any average sized male but I am a female @ 4'9" so it was a problem for me. I almost went back to the bench but I paid a lot for the buckets so I am not going to give up the buckets. Might consider that if you have "another half" that might be driving the car at some point.

bucket seats sit lower than a bench.

If your a tall person then it wont matter but if your vertically challenged then that will be something to consider.

I noticed it in my 68 dart which was a bench seat car and I drove it for a few months with the bench. Then when the buckets went in, I was noticeably lower and it became a lot tougher to see the leading edge of the hood without a pillow.

Probably not an issue for any average sized male but I am a female @ 4'9" so it was a problem for me. I almost went back to the bench but I paid a lot for the buckets so I am not going to give up the buckets. Might consider that if you have "another half" that might be driving the car at some point.

Put the plastic 1" spacers under the tracks. They have em on evilbay.

zigs what are the measurements on those plates? I need to reinforce my floors

tom

I believe they were 3" x 5" but don't quote me it was a long time ago. What I did is put my seats in located them where I wanted and remember to adjust the seat all the way fore ward or back and then mark seats accordingly . you just need enough metal to cover factory slots and position seats. I mocked up several times before I welded anything

If you're still dating, might want to hold off changing that bench!! Check out Cakes song "Stickshifts and Safety belts"!!!

hey, I resent that

ive been married for 10 years and still like the bench seat and sharp right hand corners :burnout:

-
Back