Replace wheel cylinders

-

340Dart

Obsessive Dart Disorder
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing the brake shoes and drums. The Dana 60 I have in my Dart is a '69. The wheel cylinders are original. They aren't leaking and work great. But being that they are that old would you replace them or if it isn't broke don't fix it? Thanx for your opinions.

Fred B

If it's a currently working rear end, I'd leave them alone. If it's been sitting a while, I'd put a kit in each cylinder.

My bet is that if you go there, you will also be replacing the hard lines back there.
C

When you change brake shoes the thicker lining of the new shoes will push the pistons further back into the cylinder. If there is rust back there then a leak will develop. At least pull cups and pistons to check and clean out. But like abodyjoe said the new cyl. are so cheap, it's better to replace. Soak the flare nut at cyl with PB Blaster or other rustbuster before trying to loosen.

When you change brake shoes the thicker lining of the new shoes will push the pistons further back into the cylinder. If there is rust back there then a leak will develop. At least pull cups and pistons to check and clean out. But like abodyjoe said the new cyl. are so cheap, it's better to replace. Soak the flare nut at cyl with PB Blaster or other rustbuster before trying to loosen.
If the hardware and return springs are working, that's not true. The pistons return to their innermost position after every brake application.

Replace everything chances are you'll be taking it apart again if you don't,thats what i did.

Guess I will replace them. I can get new ones for $10 each. All lines are new. Thanx everyone.

Fred B

-
Back