Replaced Turn Signal Switch - New Problems!

-

GY3 71 Demon

Reaction score
71 Dodge Demon 340

I just replaced my turn signal switch with a new one and now the rear lights are always flashing even with the hazard button off!!??!?

If I pull out the hazard switch, the hazard lights all flash as they should. Push it back in and the rears continue to flash. I depress the brake and they quit flashing and the brake lights work.

I checked and the turn signals work, as well as the taillights/parking lights.

I initially changed the switch because my brake lights started working intermittently. The brake switch appeared to be okay. When I took out the original turn signal switch I noticed it had been kind of rigged up - the flasher section has a wire connecting both white wires (jumped) the terminals together. With the old turn signal switch when I used the flashers, only the front worked - not the back.

Now, with the new turn signal switch the rears flash all the time!

Man, this is driving me nuts. I just pulled the emergency flasher to get it to stop...

Any ideas what could be the problem?

well, there is a ground wire from the column to the dash frame. you may have gotten the wrong cancellor , you can not just look at a brake light switch and deem it ok. outside of that , you need a wiring schematic and a tester

well, there is a ground wire from the column to the dash frame. you may have gotten the wrong cancellor , you can not just look at a brake light switch and deem it ok. outside of that , you need a wiring schematic and a tester

Ground wire is connected. The turn signal switch is marked in the right package and is exactly the same appearing as my original (same number of wires/positioning on the plastic etc.) Brake light checks out via meter. I have a schematic via mymopar, anyone have a suggestion on what specifically to check?

I changed just the switch on my Dart many many years ago. A real pita! I ended up eating the cost and just getting the whole signal harness. See, those contacts are real touchy. With the harness it's already checked. The harness is tough to install, fishing the connector is not easy, but worth it in the long run. Or you can look at the contacts and try to get them right. Hopefully your situation won't be as tough.

There must be a short circuit in the hazard flasher or its connector. I guess previous owner didn't know where the fault was either.
If you can figure out which fuse is horn, which is turn,etc.. you can pull them all except the hazard fuse and determine is horn current getting into the lights circuit, etc.

There are only two possibilities---------

1--As Red said, a bad TS switch

2--A cross between wires in the column harness. There is only one place this could be, and would be connecting the brake switch power going from the brake switch up the column to the wire coming from the 4x hazard flasher.

This is not a ground problem. There is no "ground" having to do with the column that has anything to do with brake/ TS/ 4x lights

feel yah on this i have the same problem with my dart. a mightmare is right. i have a 340 rally dash in it to.

Maybe this will help with your troubleshooting. Make sure wire colors are in the correct cavities (middle left of the diagram): [ame]http://www.70duster440.com/DashHarness70%20Page%202%20and%203.PDF[/ame]

The other half of the diagram is here if you want to see it: [ame]http://www.70duster440.com/DashHarness70%20Page%201.PDF[/ame]

Also, testing the column wiring: http://www.70duster440.com/images/Column Wiring.jpg

I'd be looking for any hackery in the dash harness by previous owners.

-
Back