Replacement Distributor Connector

-

Reddartowner

UCF Alumni....Go Knights!
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find a replacement connector for a small block electronic distributor.? I mean the 2-wire connector that connects the distributor to the module. The connector wires on the module side on mine have cracked at the connector body and the wires are exposed. The adjacent wiring is also very brittle. For now I have just taped over them but I'd like to replace the connector with a new one.

You tried NAPA? Get a guy who knows how to run the PAPER "picture book" IE the numerical/ pictorial guide. I'd bet they have/ can get 'em, if only they can FIND them!!

Uh...........................EDIT. NAPA doesn't have 'em so far as I can find

Here:

http://www.napaechlin.com/ROOT-Home/Content.aspx

[ame]http://www.napaechlin.com/upload/NAPAEchlin2/Documents/ECH_NA141_HQr.pdf[/ame]

I had a little fire near the distributor a while ago, don’t ask, that exposed the very same wires as yours. I used liquid electrical tape to repair them. It’s a jar of black goop with a brush attached to the cap that one paints on to the exposed wires. It stays flexible, is heat resistant, and water proof. Find it in the electrical aisle at a parts store.

If you change the body connector (or replace the distributor pickup), look very close at the connectors (I call them "double bullet"). I got 2 pickups from rockauto last spring and found the connectors were different between them. One had a male terminal too short to make a good connection with the body connector. Look close at the Chucker54 link above. The male connector there is longer than in a normal "appliance" double bullet connector [term it an "excited male" terminal ]. In my "bad" pickup, it made an erratic connection. Obviously, somebody in the Chinese factory screwed up. I suspect that is a problem with many people's ignition problems (plus bad ground to ECU body).

That said, I would do like wjajr did and use Liquid Tape. If you want better, wrap each lead with "self-fusing silicone tape" (Ace Hardware, ...), then overwrap the pair.

The other thing you could do is abandon the orginal connector. One simple solution is to get a pair of "booted" spade conectors

like these:

100-set-6-3mm-Crimp-Terminal-Female-font-b-Spade-b-font-font-b-Connector-b.jpg_250x250.jpg

Pay attention to the original wire colors as you don't want to switch them. Put a male and a female on the igntion end, and a male and female on the appropriate distributor wires. That way you cannot reverse them.

-
Back