Replacement distributor

-

macadoo1961

Reaction score
Looking at my 360's factory electronic ignition distributor I can see the bushings are worn and the reluctor has some side to side movement. Is the Accel 59301 a good replacement? Or should I stick with stock? What would the pros and conns be? This Accel unit seems to be a drop in replacement and someone mentioned in a post I read here it was modeled after the Mopar unit. Sorry if this is a redundant question that has already been asked, but I have spent hours pouring over the electrical/ignition forum and all talk seems to lead to the Mopar vs HEI system, staying with the Mopar system at this point. Just wondering if the Accel 59301 is a good choice, thanks!

That seems like a lot of money for one that does not seem to have an adjustable advance. I googled it and really did not find a heck of a lot on it

This mess

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwkt1lpvDKE"]ACCEL 59301 Performance Replacement Distributor Best Sellers Product - YouTube[/ame]

Destructions from Jegs

jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/100/110/110-59301.pdf

This thread

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=95524

That's an older discontinued model. I would make a different choice.

Thanks for the u tube video, love the female computer voice, that could sell anything, LOL! I looked around the net for info on it but did not find that. I thought I read in the FABO thread you posted the link to, that it had an adjustable advance, maybe I'm reading things wrong, pretty much a rookie on ignition systems and timing etc, if you couldn't tell already, just trying to learn since my Valiant has started giving me some grief. I've seen old new stock on these for $150-$200, and from availability I kind of assumed they were discontinued. Discontinued to me would not necessarily mean they are not good but I guess the question would be availability of serviceable parts.

I recall getting a nice small block distributor off a 1980's van (pre-Magnum), but make sure not a later Hall-effect type. Most trucks & van had small blocks and camper vans might have fewer miles, plus guys here don't think to pick them. Easy to sit in the seat while you pull the distributor.

-
Back