Replacement Fuel Tank Question

-

nut4vintage

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased fuel tanks from Tanks,Inc? Who has the best reproduction fuel tanks for fit and form? Need to replace mine on the 67 Cuda and there seems to be quite a few choices. Hate to buy one and fight to install it because of poor quality reproduction.

I bought mine from GasTanks.com but it appears I may have over paid. The Spectra number for our tanks is CR11B. RockAuto sells it for $157, Tanks Inc has it for $150. Be sure to hold on to your old lock ring and throw the new one that comes with the tank in the trash.

Now if it was me. I would replace the piece in the trunk with the 68 up type from a donor. That will get you 2 straps routed forward to rear rather than the single left to right that 67 has.
It is a good bit more work. You would need to cut the 2 'T' shaped notches for the forward end of the straps under the car. Advantage is you or anyone else can add dual exhaust without working around the 67 strap. I'll also mention the safety factor that contributed to the change in design.

Thanks for the info. Currently disassembling the car and getting ready for body prep and paint and gathering items needing replacement. Debating on retaining the vinyl top. Been visiting this site for about a year and gleaning quite bit of info. Everybody seems to be helpful.

Just finished my 67' barracuda with the spectra tank and 5/16 sending unit. Was easy and the guys on here gave great advise. I had the same problem with the locking ring so "SAVE THE OLD ONE" The one that comes with the tank does not press tight enough against the sending unit and rubber gasket to get a good seal. However, using the old one is a bit of a challenge to get on because its almost a little too tight. I used permatex motor seal ultimate gray gasket maker on both sides of seal just in case. Its says its resistant to gas...time will tell. I will post some pics in my tread when i get some time. Over all I am happy with the install and prices of the spectra tank and unit. Good Luck.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=281276

I had the problem with leakage from the sending unit area when I installed my new tank. Used the old lock ring and it still leaked. I found the issue to be the stamped sending unit opening lip does not always sit flush with the sending unit mating surface. I took a fuel resistant o-ring 2 1/8" by 1/8" and installed it between the sending and the tank. Used a bit of permatex 2a black just to hold it in place on the outside of the two locating tangs of the sending unit. Installed the lock ring without the outside gasket and it is leak free.

Those little details help out. Will know what do do when things do not fit right.
Thanks guys- really appreciatted.

-
Back