replacement points

-

JimD

Reaction score
I put in the Petronics electronic point kit in my car, now I have trouble timing it. My friend suggested I may need a hotter coil. I got it somewhat near where its supposed to be , but still 8 degrees off. Does these electronics change the timing, may go back to points, thanks in advance,Jim.

What did the deestruckshuns in the kit say? Most of the time you need an electronic ignition coil and sometimes you eliminate the ballast resistor. It all depends on which ignition you use.

The timing shouldn't be changed by the electronic conversion, no; sounds like you got the distributor reinstalled a tooth off of where it should be. See here. Don't go back to points. If you wind up deciding not to use the Petronix after all, do the HEI upgrade instead. As for the coil, match it to the ignition system. The original coil should be fine with Pertronix.

I put in the Petronics electronic point kit in my car, now I have trouble timing it. My friend suggested I may need a hotter coil. I got it somewhat near where its supposed to be , but still 8 degrees off. Does these electronics change the timing, may go back to points, thanks in advance,Jim.

i installed one of the ign II kits in my 6 and love it!

you have to make sure to bypass the ballast resistor or weird things can happen...

when you say 8* off do you mean adv or ret??

Why can't you turn the distributor to change the timing??? Between the two adjustments, you should be able to get it spot on. If not, you have the distributor in a tooth off like Dan said.

i installed one of the ign II kits in my 6 and love it!

you have to make sure to bypass the ballast resistor or weird things can happen...

when you say 8* off do you mean adv or ret??

I've been about 120* retarded all my life....but that's just me.

We tried changing it a tooth ,no go. The instructions said to leave the resistor, but may try taking it off, thanks for all the idea's Jim.

The resistor won't change the ignition timing if it's installed or not.

FWIW: I installed a Petronix kit on my 383 a year and a half ago. I used the same coil and resistor. I checked the timing and it did not need adjusting. I have had no problems with it.

I seem to recall that there was an adjustment or gap to check on the reluctor during installation.

FWIW: I installed a Petronix kit on my 383 a year and a half ago. I used the same coil and resistor. I checked the timing and it did not need adjusting. I have had no problems with it.

I seem to recall that there was an adjustment or gap to check on the reluctor during installation.

yea it should come with a peice of plastic i think .010 thick

If you wire it backwards, do you get a falling edge trigger as opposed to a rising edge? Though I saw that somewhere, but probably pretty hard if the harness was not disturbed. I believe a tooth would be more than 8 degrees. Wouldnt it be like 720/number of teeth on the drive?

If you wire it backwards, do you get a falling edge trigger as opposed to a rising edge? Though I saw that somewhere, but probably pretty hard if the harness was not disturbed. I believe a tooth would be more than 8 degrees. Wouldnt it be like 720/number of teeth on the drive?

well all he has to do is put the red wire from the petronix on the hot side and the black on the ground...

Yeah, I was thinking of the electronic distributor. my bad.

You didn't say you removed the distributor when you installed the Pertronix so that shouldn't be the problem. You say you removed it and changed it a tooth. You didn't say you plugged the vacuum hose for the advance. Try that and see what happens.

-
Back