Replacement Radio

-

gunmetal72

Life is a dark ride
Reaction score
I am sure this topic has been discussed before but I am hoping someone might know where I can find a radio for my 72 duster. I don't want to cut the dash and I want to use the original face plate. I figured there has to be a radio that I can buy that will fit the original hole with out the cost breaking the bank. I know there is guys that will convert my old radio into a modern one but they want 5 or $600. Has anyone found one?

There never was and probably never will be a aftermarket unit that fit Chryslers oddball 2 window radio opening.

I know there is guys that will convert my old radio into a modern one but they want 5 or $600. Has anyone found one?

I had a dead 71-76 AM/FM A Body radio converted to modern 4 speaker stereo with aux input by Tayman Electric for $399 and that radio fits ANY A Body knob style bezel, even one for my 65 Dart!

Send it to Sm electrotech.
I've had 2 done by them. 400 bucks and they sound great.

Post a pic of your radio opening
This is the size of the opening

Dash.jpg

Last edited:
Yep it should work. It shows the dimensions on their site. I can measure mine for you if you need me to.

Dimension Gallery
gary tayman of tayman electric is a friend of mine here in Sarasota,fl. he can work magic with car radios. he does all the radio work for our car club. very pleasant man to deal with and really knows his trade. I would not hesitate to give him a call for what you need, he also has an ad in hemmings each month for the last 20+ years. you won't be disappointed.

This is the radio I got:

Laguna Radio - No Knobs or Mounting Bezel

Comes in Chrome or Black. You order the knobs you want for it or use your own. It's a fantastic radio and easy to install. Looks classic but modern tech. I like the Aux input to hook up my phone or mp3 player. The more expensive models have bluetooth.

This is the radio I got:
Did you put this in a Duster? What knobs & face plate did you use. Would you mind posting a pic of it mounted in your car? I know, I ask allot
Laguna Radio - No Knobs or Mounting Bezel

Comes in Chrome or Black. You order the knobs you want for it or use your own. It's a fantastic radio and easy to install. Looks classic but modern tech. I like the Aux input to hook up my phone or mp3 player. The more expensive models have bluetooth.

It's in my 71 Dart. I personally modified my 2 window face plate so it's now 1 window big enough to allow the while radio to come thru, but it's not necessary (I modified mine because it was somewhat broken anyway).

Take a look at this, they can be used with stock 2 window face plates
RetroSound Redondo RS Radio in 1967 Barracuda

You can also buy face plates from Retrosound if you don't want to use the stock one

It's in my 71 Dart. I personally modified my 2 window face plate so it's now 1 window big enough to allow the while radio to come thru, but it's not necessary (I modified mine because it was somewhat broken anyway).

Take a look at this, they can be used with stock 2 window face plates
RetroSound Redondo RS Radio in 1967 Barracuda

You can also buy face plates from Retrosound if you don't want to use the stock one
I really like the look of it, Nice job. If mine turns out as nice I will be happy and it is much cheaper than having mine re-built

I really like the look of it, Nice job. If mine turns out as nice I will be happy and it is much cheaper than having mine re-built
FYI that pic in that thread is not mine. But it's really cool that Retrosound radios are compatible with our stock 2 window face plates...

Retrosound=junk

Wayyy to overpriced and crappy customer service, mine has been in for repairs twice and has been replaced once and still isnt right

Hasnt worked correctly for longer than 8 months

Go the easy route and either mount a standard head unit in the trunk or under the dash

Retrosound=junk

Wayyy to overpriced and crappy customer service, mine has been in for repairs twice and has been replaced once and still isnt right

Hasnt worked correctly for longer than 8 months

Go the easy route and either mount a standard head unit in the trunk or under the dash
Highly disagree. Years and years ago I know their units were junk, but they've come a long way since then. I've had mine for over 3 years and it works fantastic. My gf has had hers, an even older model, for over 5 years. They are modern but look classic, modern adjustments, hookups for an amp, everything. At $200 for their fully ready to go basic unit ($170 if you don't need the knobs or faceplates) it's a very cost effective option.

The only issue I had with mine was with the back knobs, they were loose. Their customer service guy was very nice and apologized that they were having QC issues with the back knobs. They sent me several new ones, and different styles, for free no questions asked.

Huh, well the one i have is the model one radio, i know they have a model 2 or apache radio that is similar in all aspects except its the newer model, once i had the radio in for repairs the tech told me they were having issues with a lot of them. Of course i first bought mine 4 years ago, im still leary of buying another one but i may end up so i dont have to change my wiring, plus i use the factory knobs and faceplate

When I had my AM radio in the shop for repairs, I had them add an Aurora FMC-1 FM tuner. The write-up is here:

Radio Upgrades

-
Back