Replacement vacuum advance can for 318 distributor

-

smokinnjokin

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Vac can on my 318 distributor broke. Trying to find a replacement, would be great if I could find one that fits at an auto parts store. Currently the arm is marked 10, its a 2642718 distributor spec sheet says 10.5-13.5 distributor degrees at 15" vac.

Distributor is on a nice warm 360 with cam, exhaust and intake, so I wouldn't mind a little less vac (thinking maybe 8 distributor degrees?) so I can run more initial timing.

What are my options here? I tried to swap cans with an electronic ignition distributor and the arms were a very different shape and not compatible.

Gentlemen,
Vac can on my 318 distributor broke. Trying to find a replacement, would be great if I could find one that fits at an auto parts store. Currently the arm is marked 10, its a 2642718 distributor spec sheet says 10.5-13.5 distributor degrees at 15" vac.

Distributor is on a nice warm 360 with cam, exhaust and intake, so I wouldn't mind a little less vac (thinking maybe 8 distributor degrees?) so I can run more initial timing.

What are my options here? I tried to swap cans with an electronic ignition distributor and the arms were a very different shape and not compatible.
Contact halifaxhops here or start a wanted thread.

Most replacement advance units are adjustable. Talk to halifaxhops. He is a distributor expert.

Sent Ray a pm. I’m not looking for one for sale on the forum, trying to get one at an auto parts store and be back on the road.

Echlin 3115 looks like a direct replacement, but is not adjustable. My local Napa said 3 days to get one in, plus they will charge freight on it. And they won't tell me how much that is until it arrives. No thanks...

Plug the vacuum line to the carb and run without it until you can find one or get yours rebuilt. (Hoppy can get that done)
@halifaxhops

I know it runs fine without vacuum advance. I don’t want to put the distributor back together just have to terret apart again to install the new can.

That looks like a odd 1 year distributor. Not saying a different vac advance wouldn't work for you. Might be a tough one to find.

Standard vc-93 appears to be a readily available, viable option.

My current distributor is from a 318, currently it is on a smog 360 with cam, headers, eddy intake and carb. So 8.5 compression compared to the 318's 9.5.

The distributor specs are as follows:
Mechanical 25 crank degrees @2350 rpm.
Vac (original can) 12" vac = 12-18 crank degrees; 15" vac = 21-27 crank degrees. The arm says "10" on it though, so should only have 20 crank degrees total. Possibly the can on it now is not original?

I have been running 12 degrees initial timing.

The VC-93 specs are as follows: advance starts at 4.9" - 7", max is 11-15 crank degrees @ 13". So it has approximately half the total advance of the old can, and come in at a lot lower vacuum. Based on my limited knowledge of advance, this replacement can would actually be better suited to my warmed over 360 than the original can, right?

Gentlemen,

You're fooling yourself if you think it runs fine without the Vcan.
Your mechanical timing curve, after you have it dialed in is only right, at best, twice; Once at idle and then at WOT after ~3600rpm. Under ALL other situations, it is dead wrong.
The Vcan can't make it perfect, but it will bring your PT and Cruse timing much closer to the ideal. On yours it should be plumbed to the sparkport, which, at idle, should have no vacuum signal at all.
Depending on your 65mph cruise rpm, your engine might like 42 to 56 degrees of timing.
Around town at light throttle, your engine might like double the timing it is getting from the Mechanical, maybe even triple depending on how far off ideal yours is, and depending on the rest of your combo.
To that end; Just get anything that physically fits, and cut the stops off the arm, until you get at least 16 or more degrees out of it; I got 22* out of mine. I think @TrailBeast got 24 out of his.
How much your combo needs depends on how close the mechanical curve is. Mine needed more than 22, but I quit there..
Lots of initial-timing is counter-productive to setting the Transfer-slot exposure.
Your Vcan should be plumbed to the sparkport and should not affect your idle-speed whatsoever.
After the T-Port sync is set, your engine does not care about the actual idle timing,
After that, it doesn't care whatsoever the timing is until the TC stalls. If you got too much, it will tell you by either; the racket it makes, or the power-loss, or the engine parts falling into the oil pan. If you don't have enough, you won't know it until you hit third gear
At about 3600, your timing should be dialed in within a couple of degrees, else you might feel the before/after power change, but more likely you will see it in the time-trials.

The key to getting the Power-Timing right,
is to first get the Idle-timing right;
and that starts by getting the Transfer-slot exposure, underneath the primary throttle blades set right.

And finally, if you expect to get the most out of your engine, expect to be taking the D out of it many, many, many; perhaps, dozens, of times. I suggest you figure out a better way to keep the point-cam in place, instead of that miserable wire-clip. I drilled and tapped the top of the driveshaft for a small Allen socket-head screw. Then found a small washer to fit it, and finally;fabbed up a correct-height spacer. Now I can do almost everything I need to,in-situ.

Last edited:
You don't need to convince me that I need vacuum advance, why else would I post this thread? I just mean that it would be drivable until my new can arrives in the mail. This is not a drag car, I regularly depend on it to drive to work.

If I understand you correctly, if I cut those little limiter tabs off each side of the arm, the only thing limiting how much advance it can pull is how far the diaphragm is capable of collapsing?

My can is indeed hooked up to ported vac, so little to no effect on idle.

Would you happen to have a picture of how you modded the distributor for easy disassembly?

If I understand you correctly, if I cut those little limiter tabs off each side of the arm, the only thing limiting how much advance it can pull is how far the diaphragm is capable of collapsing?
correct, but do not cut all of them off! IDK how far the arm will go up into the can, or if it will ever come back out,lol. I had a box full of old cans, and figured out by math how much to cut, to get what I wanted. Sorry, I don't remember the ratio.
And no pics,sorry.
You don't need to convince me that I need vacuum advance, why else would I post this thread? I just mean that it would be drivable until my new can arrives in the mail. This is not a drag car, I regularly depend on it to drive to work.
Silly me...... lol.

While I have it apart, I went ahead and got an FBO limiter plate. Going to take my mechanical down to 20 crank, and bump my initial up from 12 to 17, for a total of 37 (same as before).
I will cut the tabs back on the new can to get what I need. I think the arm on the VC-93 is a 7.5 (15 crank).

Do it right no burs at all or it will hang up and will break the nose off the starter, don't ask. FBO plates are great just remember they will not add advance just limit it.

I still have the distributor you curved for me, just need to get the darn HEI working to use it.

It dawned on me tonight, I can swap the Pertronix onto the electronic distributor Ray (halifaxhops) curved for me. Just had to swap the top plates, because Pertronix only mounts to the points-style plate. Also had to drill the inner hole for the curved-arm style vacuum can that was on the distributor.

Hooked everything up, fired up fine but I have a really erratic timing mark at idle. Appears to jump all over the place by a couple degrees at 650rpm. My idle is somewhat erratic, seems to have a miss or something. Possibly ignition related, not sure. My idle quality had deteriorated somewhat before getting into the distributor, so it may be unrelated.

Set initial to 17 (mech 20) and did a brief run, car felt strong good response. Good enough for tonight.

I will work on diagnosing the erratic idle tomorrow. Not sure why my timing mark would be jumping all over the place. I am using a digital dial back timing light, but the sound and feel of the idle seems to agree with what the light is doing.

First borrow a non dial back light and check it, only ignition related are if there is a bad distrib ground, really crappy points pressure (both points only) Petronix on its way out, usually just dies, Or the dial back light is really acting up.

Set the transfers slots a little more than square, airscrews to 2.0 and started tuning, same issue with idle. really rough and the timing mark jumps everywhere. Timing smooths out at higher rpm and mark is steady to confirm all in, it just wants to vary by like 5 degrees at idle. I don't think its the light. Pulled a couple plug wires and spark was very weak, no clicking sound. Didn't make much difference to the terrible idle.

So definitely an ignition issue. Checked the coil, was very hot and resistances were 11.2k and 1.1... pretty sure it is supposed to be 1.5 ohms. going to swap and old coil in and see what it does.

Gentlemen,

I would want as much vacuum in the can as you can find. It has zero effect on how much initial you run. The vacuum can falls completely out on acceleration. It's only purpose is to clean up unburned gasses on part throttle or no throttle conditions and give "a little" advance at cruise. The amount of vacuum in the can should be completely ignored when timing an engine.

Do it right no burs at all or it will hang up and will break the nose off the starter, don't ask. FBO plates are great just remember they will not add advance just limit it.

They do allow you to add more initial advance.

That's exactly what it does Rob. It tells it when to start to pull the advance. Kind of hard to explain. That's a vac advance not a FBO plate.

I would want as much vacuum in the can as you can find. It has zero effect on how much initial you run. The vacuum can falls completely out on acceleration. It's only purpose is to clean up unburned gasses on part throttle or no throttle conditions and give "a little" advance at cruise. The amount of vacuum in the can should be completely ignored when timing an engine.
Yes, I'm not sure what I was thinking. Anyway, I have moved on from that, have my Halifax hops distributor with good vac can on it converted to a Pertronix and now I am trying to diagnose a misfire or related issue at idle.

Swapped to an old coil, had the same issue. Took the car out for a run, runs beautifully but didn't want to idle. 0-60 was the same as before, on wet pavement with a lot of wheelspin which I take as an indication the new distributor was an improvement. Oddly, after a full throttle pull the car returned to idle and idled very smoothly, the issue was gone. Then as I pulled back into the garage it got rough again and even backfired.

I think I can safely say at this point this is related to the ignition system. I soldered connectors onto the Pertronix, but there is no way to test the connections. I double checked the gap on the reluctor, its 0.030" as recommended. Something is making my ignition very weak at idle.

The coil I swapped in might be marginal as well, measured 1.5 primary and 8.5k secondary but who knows with bench tests. An ignition coil is an expensive item to buy just to rule out an idle issue.

Weird that it stopped then came back. You positive the carb is working properly and there are no vacuum leaks anywhere?

Hey just started thinking the original distributor was points right? If so you running the points coil and have you opened the spark plug gap a bit yet? Doubt that will do the idle issue, just thinking here. Also how long did it sit with ethanol gas in the carb? Clogged idle circuit? Just fishing here.

Just for giggles, what plugs are you running? Manufacturer and number?

-
Back