Replacing bench seat mounting studs

-

Jim Ward

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight on replacing a broken mounting stud on a 73 a body bench seat track? It looks like the track has small studs that are knurled in the track and the studs do not appear to be servicable. I do have new studs but cannot see how these old ones come out. Any help is appreciated.

Jim

566A8BE9-4695-432A-A75F-1C059423F1A5.jpeg

F437F11C-3931-43D7-8942-B42D59CAD469.jpeg

FB14A175-25E5-418B-BB88-9D6C57EACC26.jpeg

I would stick a piece of pipe in a vise upright, put the head of the stud into the pipe drive it on through. Use a bolt of your choice and tack weld in place. If you wish take your bolt stick in a drill and a nice bench grinder to the hexagon head....round, and tack, there you go.

I would stick a piece of pipe in a vise upright, put the head of the stud into the pipe drive it on through. Use a bolt of your choice and tack weld in place. If you wish take your bolt stick in a drill and a nice bench grinder to the hexagon head....round, and tack, there you go.

Exactly!

I did the same with stripped studs in my bucket seat tracks. Popped them out, put these in, fits square hole same as the originals, Tack welded them in place, Worked great!

Get these at Fastenal, very cheap!

dscn5165-jpg.jpg

The bucket seat tracks will give you access to the bolts. These bench seat tracks do not without tearing them apart.

Make it work or restore to original condition? Cut them off and weld in some grade 8 bolts.

I just want to make it work and be safe. The other three studs are in good shape. This one snapped off at some point. I bought the seat used and recovered it. I’ll weld a stud on it and send it!

I took the advice from the knowledgeable folks on the site and just welded a stud to the track. It’s back together and will work great. 5 minutes work. It’s kinda funny how you get something in your head that that broken stud had to come out. I should have thought of this long before posting for help.

thanks to all.

6426A1E2-A8FE-4183-A5F8-51F2E0E1B219.jpeg

-
Back