replacing carburetor

-

liplip

Reaction score
I have a '64 dart with a 170 ci /6, any suggestions on what would be the best carb to get while also not being too expensive?

since this is only your second post I wont tell you the best carburetor is probably a edelbrock 1406

in order for the 1406 to run properly I would also suggest pulling the 170 and replacing it with small block ;)

Your year would be a Carter BBS, 1 bbl. There were only 2 other 1 bbls on slants - Holley 1920 and Holley 1945. The Carter is simple and easy to repair and adjust. Your year also has a rotating throttle rod instead of the later cable.

The other options are to change to a now-rare Super Six 2 bbl intake (Aspen/Volare) or after-market 4 bbl aluminum, but both are >$200 unless you really luck out at a junkyard.

My plan for my 1964 slant is to use the rotating rod to open a later throttle body and make MPFI on the intake, but takes a lot of fab work so is just to be cool. Probably awaits my retirement years.

Attachments

• BOMAX.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 169
Bill, I got you covered on that retirement project.

Liplip, if you can fabricate, the 2bbl intake mod is over on slantsix.org, get a rochester 2bbl flange and some industrial hi heat epoxy and start hoggin out the old 1bbl unless you can weld cast iron. Look for slant six trucks, more have the 2bbl intakes on them than cars as they were California legal. Thats where I found 2 aluminum ones at one yard! Both were manuals with no rare kickdowns though.. Bummer.

Rusty, no split Dominators allowed! :)

-
Back