Replacing door hinge pins and bushings

-

WhyteRoots

Reaction score
It's a '67 Valiant 2-door sedan. The driver's door lower hinge is saggy, which makes the door hard to close. I've bought replacement hinge pins and bushings but I can't figure out how to install them. Must the hinges be unbolted?

Yes you need to remove the hinge. Mark it on the pillar and door before removal
since your not removing the upper just use something to support the door when you remove the lower.

Yes you must remove your doors.Then remove the hinges.Knock the pins out of the hinges.Drill out the holes and insert bushings.Then reassemble the pins on the hinge .Note you must drill the holes the right size or you will ruin the hinge.

Yes it's easier to remove the door and remove the hinges. Just mark where they were and then fine tweak once you get the door on and closed.

You can build a simple press out of a bolt, washers and a socket to install the bushings.

Installing bushings is temporary at best the permanent repair is oversized
pins it's very easy to do check out resto rick he has the kit to do them
including the reamer to size the hole to the new pins

someone on here rebuilds them if your not sure about doing it your self.

I will rebuild them for you if you like

but... most dont drive there car daily. Opening and closing the door multiple times a day. For a weekend cruiser the busing and pin method would be just fine.

The upper hinge is super easy and all you do is knock the pin out, replace the bushings and then smack the new pin in.

If you do the lower hinge properly with bushings it will last. It's a lot of work filing the hinge to accept the thickness of the bushing. (The shoulder as seen in the first pic) I filed a little off each hinge half so I didn't weaken it. I remember using a letter size drill bit (closest to .440") to drill the hole for the new bushing

I got mine from chrysler. They were used for many years. You will never wear out new bushings. Think about how long the originals have been there. Except an E body, get new hinges in that event.

I thought you could get pin and bushing kits at most local auto parts stores. I think the "HELP" brand even has them. I think you have to cut the pin to fit.

I got mine from chrysler. They were used for many years. You will never wear out new bushings. Think about how long the originals have been there. Except an E body, get new hinges in that event.

I wore out a set in about 6 years.

Parts are made so much cheaper now, I don't see them lasting 30 years like the originals did.

RANDY, thanks for the photos, very helpful. I'm sure it'll become even clearer when I get a hinge on the bench. You're from Edmonton, too, I see. Cold enough for ya?

do you have to remove the fenders to get the hinges off

Nope. :glasses7:

Unbolt the door from the hinges, unbolt the hinges themselves from the Pillar, there you go. No need to touch the fenders.

On another note, I find a Transmission Jack works perfectly for removing & installing the doors by yourself. The jack I have has a "V" in the middle of the plate, throw a blanket or something over it, jack it up until the bottom edge of the door sits down into the V, unbolt the door and roll it away from the car.

When I replaced the door on my '74 Duster, it took me about 3 minutes to remove the old door, install the new door and adjust it, using the transmission jack.

Anyone tried welding the holes and drilling them back out?

i have added tubing, weld each end, add a grease fitting
on my car hauler

tube I.D is slightly larger than pin O.D.

018-2.jpg

closed
011-2.jpg

upper -added grease fitting

006-8.jpg

small notch to clear fitting

003-4.jpg

all cars should come equipped with grease fittings in the door hinges like that. I think when I rebuild my hinges I will do the same thing

-
Back