Replacing fuel pump on 69 340

-

wlecat

Reaction score
How big a deal is it to replace a fuel pump on a 69 340?
Any recommendations, pitfalls or upgrade suggestions?

Much easier if you take the time to disconnect the battery and pull the alternator. Otherwise pretty straightforward, just carefully get all the old gasket off

literally a 15 minute job, with the alternator there; removing it makes it easier to see but doesn't make the job any quicker

LOL, that Arrow is long gone, wish I still had it, was way ahead of its time.
Hijackers lfted the read to fit M50 13's and ss cragars all around. White Dart racing wrap around the rear. It was a FUN car.

Summit sells a muscle car series carter pump for about 33 bucks.
Sometimes you need the roll the engine over to get it off the cam eccentric to make installation easier.
Just clean the mating surface real good and use a light coat of RTV on the gasket.
Consider replacing the rubber lines and fuel filter while you are in there.

all of the above but i haven't seen when putting a new one on i always like to put a filter before and after the pump,replace all lines ,on my aspen the mounting surface was cleaned but the hole had built up crud so i gently wiped it off without any falling in the engines and i put a Lil more grease on the moving parts of the new one they kinda skimped on it.

i don't even worry about the alt there i disconnect the battery tho

I can see it, looks easy to get to and work on $17 at autozone Thanks guys

I dont remove the Alt' completely but I do remove the lower bolt and rotate it up and out of arms way.
The lever on the pump has a fairly strong spring. If the ecentric is to the high side you will fight harder against the spring. If the ecentric is to the low side you still have a little resistance but much less likely to cross thread the pump mounting bolts.
The Airtech pumps from part stores are junk. Buy a Carter OEM replacement from RockAuto.com. Few more coins well spent.

-
Back