Replacing Lifters

-

dartman59

Reaction score
Here's what I feel is a stupid question, but: In a 360 LA motor, can the lifters be removed and replaced without removing the heads or intake??

no - the intake will need to come off - the heads can stay in place. You'll need to remove the push-rods too, so the rockers will have to either come out or be loosened up a lot..

You can replace the lifters without removing the intake and stock heads. We used to have a special tool that would "grab" them and you could pull them out. You have to remove valve covers, rockers, and pushrod.

You can replace the lifters without removing the intake and stock heads. We used to have a special tool that would "grab" them and you could pull them out. You have to remove valve covers, rockers, and pushrod.

would the lifters come out through the heads where the pushrods sit?
I didn't think there would be enough room there

FYI I have removed lifers thru the distributor hole. just use a magnet to "walk" the back.

ot sure about the eddy heads but IF there is room, I used a paper towel tube and guided them out with an extended magnet on my 273 heads. Took some patience an finess though.
?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tumblr.com%2Ftumblr_m5vkz8H1wh1qd602l.png

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.carid.com%2Fimages%2Falltrade%2Fhand-tools%2F836199.jpg

I will tell you, getting them out is the easy part. Getting them back in is the tough part. I did 2 lifters like this and if I ever have to replace lifters again, off comes the intake.

Thanks for the responses! My son had told me he thought it possible. I've got stock heads so I think I'll give it a try. I've got a noisy valve train in a built 408. Hoping that replacing the lifters might help. Can't make it worse. Pretty mild cam--any suggestions or brands to stay away from??

Pulling an intake is easy and I always like to get a look at the cam lobes while it's off

-
Back