Replacing seals in hydraulic cylinders - jacks, hoists, presses

-

airgrabber

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good source for hydraulic cylinder seals, and how to measure and source the correct ones? I've seen too many good tools get chucked when I think all they need is a seal rebuild. I have a big bottle jack on my press that's no longer working, and sooner or later the ram on my engine hoist may need it to, plus I can't count the number of good floor jacks I've tossed. I don't want to just chuck in some seal sweller, I want to replace them.

Usually a name and part number on the seal itself. You'll see something like SKf 560043. Otherwise you'll have to measure .

We have a Power & Rubber business that I carry the old seals to and have them match. Really not very expensive compared to the Deere or Komatsu dealer. Also local owned parts house carries lots of seals

Not knowing how close you are to a 'city' I can only guess. Here, near Spokane (which is not all that big a cowtown) there are at least a couple of "seal and packing" outfits that not only rebuild such things, but also stock and sell all kinds of seals and o rings.

Had a large floor jack that started bleeding out. Most these days are imports so you'll not likely find a kit. Anyway, I took the cylinder apart (uber big socket and 3/4" impact) and removed the piston o-ring. A hydraulic shop had one with just the right ID, OD, and thickness - at least close enough. Reassembled and has not leaked a drop since. Cheaper than buying a new one.

See here: www.hyjacks.com/H7.HTM

Once upon a time... The equipment mfgrs were in U.S. and there products had I.D. tags. They were the source for repair parts too. In most cases the seals, bearings, etc.., were industrial standard dimensions, inch standard too, so a local vendor could very well have the same parts.
Largest exception was appliance mfgrs., especially washing machines. They very often had non standard parts produced so they were the only source for replacement parts.
Today... Everything is made in a land far far away... no brand name, no idea who to contact.
The D.I.N. standards adopted in early 80s helped get much of what they make and what is made everywhere else to the same industrial standards. Mostly metric dimensions though.
The end user can only gamble. Take the assembly apart, try to source parts, get lucky or loose. I've lost a few times. Found I had wasted my time. My final thought, "It would have been easier tossed in the dumpster if I hadn't taken it apart first". Good luck

A good auto parts store should have an assortment of o rings. Thats where i got mine when i rebuilt a nice jack i picked from garbage night. 3 o rings and 50 cents later and its been working fine for nearly 8 years now.

-
Back