Replacing studs

-

Duster 383

Reaction score
Sooo I have never had to replace studs on a rear before. I have a 8 3/4 under the duster. Now they are super long and won't come out without pulling the axles...I think. How does one pull axles lol??? Figured I would ask the experts before I did something stupid

Sooo I have never had to replace studs on a rear before. I have a 8 3/4 under the duster. Now they are super long and won't come out without pulling the axles...I think. How does one pull axles lol??? Figured I would ask the experts before I did something stupid

I forgot what are the best studs put there in the market too gonna be racing it as well

Take the brake drum (or disc) off, then remove the 5 nuts holding the bearing retainer to the end of the axle housing. Remove the bearing retainer and the axle with the bearing will slide out. Be careful not to damage the grease seal(s). Usually now is a good time to examine the bearings, replace the grease seals, and replace the bearing retainer gaskets.
You will need a hydraulic press and some sort of fixture to press the studs out. Any decent automotive machine shop should have a large press set up for this. Also get the new studs pressed in at this time. Don't hammer the studs out, you'll probably just bend the axle flanges.

Take the brake drum (or disc) off, then remove the 5 nuts holding the bearing retainer to the end of the axle housing. Remove the bearing retainer and the axle with the bearing will slide out. Be careful not to damage the grease seal(s). Usually now is a good time to examine the bearings, replace the grease seals, and replace the bearing retainer gaskets.
You will need a hydraulic press and some sort of fixture to press the studs out. Any decent automotive machine shop should have a large press set up for this. Also get the new studs pressed in at this time. Don't hammer the studs out, you'll probably just bend the axle flanges.

Sweet that's perfectly explained...now is there a specific stud that everyone runs for drag racing

Usually those extra-long studs were installed for racing. I guess the specific stud length will be determined by what wheels and lug nuts you are using. Some sanctioning bodies will require open-ended lug nuts with *** number of threads showing thru the nut.

Sometimes the axles r hard to pull out.What I do is reverse the drum put it back on the axle secure with lug nuts loose and grab the drum and use as a slide hamer. Axles will pop right out.

I have never used a press in my life to change a wheel stud, just get a big hammer and hit them on the end and they will come right out. Just reverse to put in new studs.

-
Back