replacing the pitman shaft seal in car

-

kursplat

Reaction score
going to order THIS SEAL KIT from NAPA. looks like it should be easy to replace in the car, anyone done it before?

thanks, chuck

I replaced a leaking input when the box happened to be out of the car - and that was pretty easy. Just pulling the pitman arm for the lower can make it a hassle. :)

Attachments

• Steeringgearseals.pdf
    917.9 KB · Views: 528
Use the correct pitman arm puller. A pickle fork could damage the steering gear.
Remove dust cover and lock ring, start engine, rev it up and steer to one end. The seal will fly out into the catch basin.

I am curious about the seal where the pitman shaft comes out of the bottom of the steering box. Not where the steering column goes in. The method Redfish described sounds like he's talking about where the column goes into the box.

Use the correct pitman arm puller. A pickle fork could damage the steering gear.
Remove dust cover and lock ring, start engine, rev it up and steer to one end. The seal will fly out into the catch basin.

Redfish is talking about the lower pitman arm seal. The only thing I do different is screw the nut on so the seal doesn't fly away.

:violent1: don't know why someone would use a pickle fork for this, but stupider things have happened. I like the "blow it out" option :).

i'll order the kit later and try to get it done this weekend. shouldn't take too long...

Not sure what your working on but the local Carquest store near me sells that seal separately.

Yup, works on most applications. I do suggest using the nut as a catch though also.

I've done it before. It can be done, just look out for an oil bath if you need to start it and turn the steering wheel to pop the old seal out after it is all apart.... (they can stick in there sometimes and be difficult to get out with a "pick").

Not sure what your working on but the local Carquest store near me sells that seal separately.

74 dart, 318. I saw napa had the seal by it's self too, but figured it's not much more for all of it,

thanks

-
Back