Replacing the Station Push Buttons/Radio

-

blewbyoutobad

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to remove the push buttons on a 69 Dart AM radio. I don't want to break them. I have some better than mine and want to replace them. These are the chrome ones.

Thanks FABO

Memory failure. I want to say just as you would pull the button to disengage it and change its tuner setting, pull it farther and it releases and comes on out. What I forget is will they come through the bezel or does the radio need to be out of the dash.
I have to suggest you take the radio to the workbench just to be on the safe side.

Memory failure. I want to say just as you would pull the button to disengage it and change its tuner setting, pull it farther and it releases and comes on out. What I forget is will they come through the bezel or does the radio need to be out of the dash.
I have to suggest you take the radio to the workbench just to be on the safe side.

I have the radio on the bench with the bezel removed. I have pulled and pryed so hard I'm surprised something hasn't broken yet. Are they just being stubborn from old age? Thanks for the input.

I was trying to do the same thing...I have enough Plymouth radios to get a good set of buttons....but cant figure it out....Dads 67 am/fm is in at Wards right now getting repaired and I asked them to replace a couple of his if they had "spares"...I will give them a call and see what they gotta say??

I was trying to do the same thing...I have enough Plymouth radios to get a good set of buttons....but cant figure it out....Dads 67 am/fm is in at Wards right now getting repaired and I asked them to replace a couple of his if they had "spares"...I will give them a call and see what they gotta say??

That would be awesome. You know that year one sells a new set of chrome pushbuttons for $40.00. To much for my beer budget

Grrrr. I've done this more than once but its been too many years. I gave the only 67 radio I had to another member so I cant even go to a refresher course. Sorry

Ok, just got off the phone with Gordon the dad...he said to send his son Greg an email, as Greg handles all the Mopars. A little side note I inquired about changing dads from am/fm Mono to am/fm stereo...kinda pricey $459!! So I said well I will just share/split the speaker wires and he said "dont do that"!! Apparently you dbl the amperage if you do that and will fry ****!! So looks like I wont be doing that either...
Ok sending Greg an email...will update when I can

Grrrr. I've done this more than once but its been too many years. I gave the only 67 radio I had to another member so I cant even go to a refresher course. Sorry

LOL, Ive seen you "Grr" more in the past month than I have in 3 years!

Guess what? I did have a 73 black button radio in the basement. Turned it upside down, pulled a button and could see the stem its mounted on. 2 small screw drivers eithe side of that stem and pryed it right on off. Pushed it right back on and back on the shelf.
So this couldn't be done in the car afterall.
Happy moparing

Ok, just got off the phone with Gordon the dad...he said to send his son Greg an email, as Greg handles all the Mopars. A little side note I inquired about changing dads from am/fm Mono to am/fm stereo...kinda pricey $459!! So I said well I will just share/split the speaker wires and he said "dont do that"!! Apparently you dbl the amperage if you do that and will fry ****!! So looks like I wont be doing that either...
Ok sending Greg an email...will update when I can

You can do this by using two speakers and some resistors. The ohm rating (impedance) being the same in the end is what you are after. I did this all the time in my younger years and never damaged a radio.

Here is a Speaker Impedance calculator for you to look at.

http://speakerimpedance.co.uk/

Guess what? I did have a 73 black button radio in the basement. Turned it upside down, pulled a button and could see the stem its mounted on. 2 small screw drivers eithe side of that stem and pryed it right on off. Pushed it right back on and back on the shelf.
So this couldn't be done in the car afterall.
Happy moparing

Redfish awesome, Thanks. I will wait for 4Speeds email answer and hopefully I'll get a little braver. Luckily I do have one of the black knob radios I will experiment with. FABO is great. Keeps me from breaking Sh$t.

Ok, here is an email reply I got back from Greg at Wards radio. Here is his instructions

"As far as removing the push buttons on your 69 thumbwheel radio , simply bend the small barb out slightly on the bottom of each button ,
and use a long object to use as leverage to pry the buttons off . Be sure to put something like a piece of cloth between your pry tool and the button so you don't damage the button. I recomend the pry tool be rounded, like a long nut driver for example,to minimize the risk of
damaging the buttons. You will use the front of the radio housing itsself as leverage when you pry (the chrome bezel and lense must be removed first of course)."

-
Back