replacing upper control arm

-
Why the listing in the 74 parts manual for a drum and a disc UCA?

That's all I'm saying. If they were ALL BBJ, they should be only one UCA number listed.

Can you scan it and post a picture? It could be showing a superceeded number but with MaMopar you never know. I would like to see what your part numbers cross to in Hollander. I have junked a bunch of these and have never ran in to a sbj on any 73 up a body.

look at the post in this thread, it shows the part number

Up until last year i never believed there was a 73-76 A body car with 9 inch drum brakes, that would make necessary the use of the small ball joint in an upper control arm.
Then in my wrecking yard scrounging, i came across two of them at different times, at two different yards.
And i have been scrounging wrecking yards since 1981, when they first started, and invented, the U Pull It self serv wrecking yards, out here in Northern California.
So it took me around 32 years before i ever noticed one, and i have been pulling suspension parts off Mopar cars and trucks, for the past 12 years to rebuild, and then sell on eBay for extra income.
So those 9 inch drum brake, A body cars are one, odd ball, car to run across in this day and age.
Don't have any clue as to why Ma Mopar produced such a stripped down model, but i guess a few got out the factory doors, for some reason or another.
I scanned a page out of my 74 factory parts book.
Hope it comes out in an attachment in this posting ok.
I have a new machine that I'm not used to using yet.
Jim V.

Attachments

• PARTS BOOK 73-76 UCA's 002.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 267
Up until last year i never believed there was a 73-76 A body car with 9 inch drum brakes, that would make necessary the use of the small ball joint in an upper control arm.
Then in my wrecking yard scrounging, i came across two of them at different times, at two different yards.
And i have been scrounging wrecking yards since 1981, when they first started, and invented, the U Pull It self serv wrecking yards, out here in Northern California.
So it took me around 32 years before i ever noticed one, and i have been pulling suspension parts off Mopar cars and trucks, for the past 12 years to rebuild, and then sell on eBay for extra income.
So those 9 inch drum brake, A body cars are one, odd ball, car to run across in this day and age.
Don't have any clue as to why Ma Mopar produced such a stripped down model, but i guess a few got out the factory doors, for some reason or another.
I scanned a page out of my 74 factory parts book.
Hope it comes out in an attachment in this posting ok.
I have a new machine that I'm not used to using yet.
Jim V.

What does your parts book show for an upper ball joint number? The 2295834 is the only number I see under those control arm catagories. Would you mind scanning the top of that page so I can see the headers?

Ok, here goes.
I think i figured out my new scanner, printer, copier, machine better.

Attachments

• #5 001.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 409
That's the number i would believe it to be.

I have found a bit more information in my Chrysler Muscle Car Parts Interchange Manual 1968-1974.

1974 drum application isn't the same as 1972 back so there is a modification. 1973 is the same on both drum and disc.

1972 back upper control arm part numbers with applications.

View attachment Mopar Upper Control Arm3.jpg

1973 disc and drum plus 1974 disc control arm part numbers with applications.

View attachment Mopar Upper Control Arm.jpg

1974 drum brake control arms with applications.

View attachment Mopar Upper Control Arm2.jpg

That's the number i would believe it to be.

Brought this over from another thread.

Called chrysler mfg. To verify if i have the large or small ball joint on my 1974 plymouth duster. I was not sure because i have disc brakes on mine and i've read disscusions on our website about this question. Well chrysler told me today from 1973 to 1976 all dusters produced used the big ball joint. So there's your answer right from the factory!!
Now the good news- on ebaymotors i purchased (2) upper controll arms with bushings and ball joints already installed for $161.18/shipped. The sale ends tomorrow but they will probably relist. Usually they relist more expensive though. If your interested here is the listing number on ebaymotors.com
(item# 200625226509) the companys name is wsd suspension.
They're kit number is #3722460-61. They have another kit that comes with new bolts for around $20 bucks more also. Just thought this might help some fellow members like me on a budget!!!!!

Ya, i guess if you went to the parts store and told the counter guy, that you needed an upper ball joint for any of the 73-76 A Body cars, that's what you would get.
But when you got home, and have one of those weird, odd ball, 6 cylinder, 9 inch, drum brake, 73-76 A body cars, you would have to figure out what the heck, is wrong here.
But i don't think there are many people out there in 2013 that are doing suspension work on one of these supposidly never built cars.
Maybe the original poster of this thread, and one or two others out there in Mopar land, but you sure are a minority.

47th Edition Hollander

812... part number 3722460-1 Hollander lists the 73 to 76 UCA interchange.

View attachment Mopar 73 through 76 UCA.jpg

1439... part number 3699574 Hollander lists the 9" brake drums were available in 1973 but not 1974.
1440... part number 3699614 The 10" drums were also available in 1973 and up.

View attachment Mopar 73 through 76 Drums.jpg

692... part number 3402739 Hollander lists the 73 to 76 spindle for drum brakes.

Attachments

• Mopar 73 through 76 Spindle.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 360
I have had them with both small and large 73 up. The difference I've seen is the drums with the small uppers were 9" finned the large were 10" finned. This is only what I noticed on cars I have worked on over the years. Most all 73 up drum or disc were Large. but I have seen them with small. Now who knows what happened from 73 until now with a lot of these car. They could have been changed since then. But I would say anything is possible. One of the cars that I know was small joints that I had here was a Feather Duster. But then again I didn't buy it new.

I have a extra left if you need it $15 dollars shipped. Its been cleaned and painted and has some pits showing.

Lot's of people just tack weld the ball joint in a couple of places when the threads get boogered up, in the replacment of the ball joint.
Or just find another pair, and then install them.
What year car you working on anyway?
That will determine what UCA that you will be needing.
72 and earlier.
or
73-76
If you go the replaement route, i can help you out.
I have UCA's in stock, that i sell to members here, and thru eBay.

If you still have them how much is a pair of 73-76 A body UCA's

-
Back