Replacing your wiper linkage bushings

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
I recently posted a step-by-step explanation of how to replace the wiper pivot seals and gaskets.
Here is a brief run-down on something closely related - replacing the nylon bushings on the
wiper linkage arms. I used to find these bushings in the HELP! section of auto parts stores with
two in a package. This last time I looked, they weren’t packaged separately, but were bundled
up in the same package with multiple bushings for various other vehicles. What a waste. I did
find a package with two bushings is still available at NAPA. You will need four bushings to do
this job.

The first thing to do is get rid of the old brittle bushings.
2444717870_5da4e8f608_o.jpg

Using a pair of channel lock pliers and a 11/16” short socket, simply snap the bushing into place.
The socket allows the bushing to snap through the hole without interference from the pliers. I have
found that the new bushings press in easier if you first soak them in very hot water a couple of minutes.
2443892687_3e0a438e58_o.jpg

The last thing to do is place some white lithium grease inside the bushing‘s “cup” and snap the
linkage rods and wiper pivots together. The rods and pivots will fit together only one way, so take
a before picture, or replace the bushings one at a time to prevent putting them in backwards. It’s not
fun reinstalling the assembly underneath the dash, but it can be done with a little persistence.

Good luck,
Jerry

Was wondering if you were going to mention what a ***** the reinstallation would be unless you were doing a total restoration an had the dash out but it looks like you covered it all. Great job and thanks. Keep em coming.

I've removed the instrument cluster and the radio in order to replace those several times. I've used channel lock pliers or a small C clamp to press the ball in the new sockets under the dash . On the work bench I use a hammer and a socket to knock the new bushings in the arms.
Back in about 1986 I saw a fellow mechanic put the linkage together wrong on a AMC Hornet. The wiper arms went down across the hood and ripped the fresh paint right off. Be careful !

The wiper arms went down across the hood and ripped the fresh paint right off. Be careful !

DOHHHHT!!

It had been a while since we removed the pivots and arms from Aaron's Duster. Thank goodness we had his Dart Sport in the garage to go back and look at for a reference. Another excuse to own two A-bodies...
icon10.gif

Jerry

-
Back