Repurposed ashtray

-

kazooom

Reaction score
I found my Dad's old ashtray and cleaned it up. Added some potpourri to scent the downstairs exercise and tv room. He will be rolling in his grave and rolling his eyes at his son.. ha ha ... my wife likes it but I think I prefer the cigar smoke and sweat as the correct smell for this part of the house.... anyone else have these old ashtray stands. I think they are cool

Attachments

• ashtray.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 327
Nice way to re-purpose that. I remember one of my uncles having something similar and I've forgotten all about those until I seen this.

!!!LMAO!!!! I thought you meant the one in your CAR!!!

Back in the days of the 70RR, stationed in San Diego, I had a rather convoluted radio repeater access in the car for amateur radio.

the local San Diego repeater (which callsign still exists!!) had a repeater on the amateur 2 meter band (about 146 mhz) and a UHF link up on 450 mhz. To try and explain this simply, this means you could "talk to" the repeater from your car on 2M and if you had a separate 450mhz receiver, you could operate "full duplex" --- like a telephone.

So I had a 'trick" little phone push button handset, a hanger bracket, and in the ashtray was a little box with 4 pilot lights and 4 push buttons to change frequencies on the system.

"In it's day" it was quite a deal LOL Some hitchhiker in Pacific Beach was CONVINCED I was a 'narc'

Very cool Derek. We had a few similar when I was a young one. Nothing as fancy as yours with that style of base.

That is one of the nicest ash tray stands I've ever seen. Since the contents should make a bit of a mess if/when the stand is tipped over, the potpourri is perfect.
Laughing at myself for suggesting merely tipped over. Truth is when we were toddlers we rolled up to it in our walker, got a firm grip on its rim, and backed up.
beep beep beep LOL
Then grandma says "damit Frank, nail that thing to the floor or get rid of it".

How cool! I have one in line right now. It was my customer's grandfather's. I don't think it's going to see any potpourri though ...

Great memories there, I miss the aroma of pipe tobacco and scotch, and the evening ritual. The ashtrays of that era are works of art.

Yes I just got one that I remember was at my Grama's house.
I know my sister had it for many years but it ended up at my Mom's.

Yes these old ashtray stands go for big bucks at the flea markets around here $150 and up... We lost the ashtray out of the stand years ago and I had a hellofa time finding another one. They are a dark brown almost black glass. Use to be at every hardware store or garage sale. My sister had this one in her garden shed that she forgot about till I was asking around for one... great stories guys and gals

I used to work out after work at the gym to help kill time to let rush hour settle down. there was a regular named Freddy that always was there after work working out, and he knew everybody at the gym. Freddy was very friendly and we all talked with him, he never missed a day... Except once... :color:

One of his workout partners told us what happened. Freddy's wife put out some potpourri in his house and he tried to eat it, thinking it was peanuts or something and chipped a tooth... #-o

He had to go to the dentist and get his tooth fixed.... :D

So when he returned the next day, I saw him on the gym floor and told him, "Hey Freddy, if you get hungry and you need a snack, they just put some potpourri out in the locker room...." :poke:

His reply went kinda like this ---> :finga:

Very cool Derek. We had a few similar when I was a young one. Nothing as fancy as yours with that style of base.

Forgot all about those things. Smoking sure was glamorous back then. Ours wasn't that nice either. I think we had a tobacco stick with a coffee can on top.

!!!LMAO!!!! I thought you meant the one in your CAR!!!

The ashtrays in my vehicles hold the remotes for our front and rear gates and garages. lol

I haven't even allowed anyone to smoke in our vehicles in more than 30 years. Who needs ashtrays?

-
Back