repurposing axles

-

momoparman

MOISMYHOME
Reaction score
Is it OK to cut/weld/reuse a set of b body 8-3/4 axles for use in an A body 8-3/4 set up? I have the A body housing, backing plates and 3rd member all I need are axles and drums that are 4.5" OC. I have a spare set of B body axles that I can use.

By OK I mean is it economical and safe.

If that's OK to do then what would each side have to be in length....measured from the axle end to the back side of the flange.

Thanks in advance.

Mop

you want to cut and respline B body axles to use in a A body housing with ..?

What backing plates and drums are you using?

B body axles probably can not be cut and resplined...certain C body axles are using the ones that can be cut and resplined.

simplest thing is to send your axles and drums to moser and let them redrill the A body axles and drums...

simplest thing is to send your axles and drums to moser and let them redrill the A body axles and drums...

Only problem there is that he'll be stuck with the smaller brakes and limited to the less common, smaller replacement drums.

I have no axles on the A body housing. I just have all the parts to make it if I use the body axles.

I figured it would probably be a hassle to do so I will probably just find a set of 4.5" A body axles and avoid the hassle.

The axle manufacturers make custom replacement axles that are less expensive than the race versions. You probably wouldn't be too far off cost-wise to get some rather than buying used C-body axles and re-doing them. Just provide all the housing width and brake specs.

regarding the welding: once i read "a welded axle is a broken axle".....so i´d never weld the axle shaft itself.

Michael

Ok....we are all in agreement. I will look for a set of OEM style axles and keep it safe.:salute:

Thanks for the input as usual.

Mop

doctordiff (Cass) has BBP/SBP axles in A or B Body offset for around 200 with studs and bearings...

mosser has just what you need for like 325 $ ship to the door been there done all that .... by the time you have spent trying this and that you could have what you need and on to something else .. ive tryed old van axles ,cbody axles. cut resplined .... what happens is the hardness is not that deep into the axle . when they re cut them they take some or most of it away . unless you have them reharden after they recut the splines ...there are not many places that harden stuff any more ....if you fine some one who does its pricey ... i no money is tight everywhere but you'll be saving it in the long run ....good luck

-
Back