Requested oiling mod info

-

Killer6

Reaction score
OK @Ceedawg , here Ya go...
20220729_144028.jpg
20220729_142954.jpg

I only mention it because it just needs to be said. The tube does NOTHING. It’s a waste of time.

The only time you need it is IF a you block the oil off to the drivers side lifters and you need oil there to oil the lifters. That’s it. All that crap about the oil moving too fast and all that is just crap.

What book is this? Also, do you do both the tube and lifter valley crossover together. I have engines with just the crossover.
No, that's 2 different methods, as per the text.
The tubes aren't BS, but are primarily for using roller cams, which would usually expose the very large & low gallery portion of the liftr bore. The crossover was found to increase main oiling according to some Super Stock racers, and reputed to reliably operate to 10,000rpm, with solids of course. Whether reliable hydraulic tappet operation gets a big boost or not would have to be shared from those who have done it w/hydros, I have not.

I only mention it because it just needs to be said. The tube does NOTHING. It’s a waste of time.

The only time you need it is IF a you block the oil off to the drivers side lifters and you need oil there to oil the lifters. That’s it. All that crap about the oil moving too fast and all that is just crap.
I think the oil velocity issue is only a start-up issue, the larger size of those galleries actually work against them at that point, & I can see oil rushing past the main feeds until the system reaches full pressure. Does it matter? Maybe, maybe not, but the Member I tagged asked for the info & I have posted it here as promised.

What book is this? Also, do you do both the tube and lifter valley crossover together. I have engines with just the crossover.

S-A Design "Mopar Performance" used be be sold on the racks at Speed Shops and such.

The 2nd Edition cover is dark red with a picture of a chromed out small block.

This is the 1st edition cover:

91InkIG428L.jpg

2nd edition cover:

b325_Dodge_Plymouth_Performance__92633.1339460183.jpg

Last edited:
No, that's 2 different methods, as per the text.
The tubes aren't BS, but are primarily for using roller cams, which would usually expose the very large & low gallery portion of the liftr bore. The crossover was found to increase main oiling according to some Super Stock racers, and reputed to reliably operate to 10,000rpm, with solids of course. Whether reliable hydraulic tappet operation gets a big boost or not would have to be shared from those who have done it w/hydros, I have not.

Yeah, that’s not true. That oiling mod doesn’t slow down the oil or anything else. It makes people feel good. Unless you NEED oil at the drivers side lifters you do NOT need that crossover.

When I put my junk back together I’m going to look at a different way to oil the shafts. But I can’t work on that junk until I finish the other junk I’m working on.

rat bastard is wrong. Go to the top of your page click on the small block engine thread and then go to the fifth one down in the stickies.

Any one interested in the oiling mods I did?

LOL. Think it through. These oiling systems are constant flow. Once the pressure stabilizes the flow volume and velocity are the same. It’s not hard to figure out. That crossover can not slow any oil down, because as I said, once the pressure is stable (on the bypass or constant RPM) the oil velocity is what it is. Unless of course you bypass oil to the pan. Just moving oil in the system around doesn’t do a thing.

Study the oil flow schematic. It’s simple really.

Number two and number four Mains are not constant flow. Because they are feeding the top end of the motor by a timed port of the cam.
This causes a fluctuation in the oil flow and the oil pressure feeding not only the mains but the rods that those Mains feed.

S-A Design "Mopar Performance" used be be sold on the racks at Speed Shops and such.

The 2nd Edition cover is dark red with a picture of a chromed out small block.

This is the 1st edition cover:

View attachment 1715962880
My very first Mopar engine book in 1979 at the old age of 17.
Was a Chevy guy before that, 63 Nova SS 327 4spd, my very first build straight 6 to 327 4spd swap.
It was great being able to drive at age 14 during daylight hours.

Number two and number four Mains are not constant flow. Because they are feeding the top end of the motor by a timed port of the cam.
This causes a fluctuation in the oil flow and the oil pressure feeding not only the mains but the rods that those Mains feed.

So explain to me how the cross over fixes that issue, which isn’t an issue. I’d love to hear how you think it works.

The time the holes are lined up to feed the rockers is so fast that for all intents and purposes it’s constant flow. But I want to hear how the cross over works, unless you are going to say it changes the velocity. It doesn’t.

The plugging off of #1 main passage makes #2 main a direct feed as it is now the end of the passage.
When you drill and install the fitting at #4 you are drilling at an angle that puts the fitting into the oil stream. Not a 90 degree hole into the oil galley but at an angle into the oil flow.
I know it works and you will never change my mind that it doesn't.

LOL. Think it through. These oiling systems are constant flow. Once the pressure stabilizes the flow volume and velocity are the same. It’s not hard to figure out. That crossover can not slow any oil down, because as I said, once the pressure is stable (on the bypass or constant RPM) the oil velocity is what it is. Unless of course you bypass oil to the pan. Just moving oil in the system around doesn’t do a thing.

Study the oil flow schematic. It’s simple really.
I can see it. Once the whole system is "full" of oil, what else can be accomplished?

Then run full groove mains or cross drill the crank. Doesn't that accomplish the same thing?

Why must we reinvent the wheel?
Do it or don't do it.
It works or it don't work.
It doesn't hurt a thing.

If it does work it probably was intended for high rpm endurance racing and maybe super high rpm 9000 plus drag racing for 99.9% of us would probably see no benefit.
Haven't heard on here people complaining about lack of oil damage.

Last edited:
I think for 99.9% of street engines and most anything under 6500 RPM, unless it's "up there" for an extended period, the stock oiling system is fine.

The plugging off of #1 main passage makes #2 main a direct feed as it is now the end of the passage.
When you drill and install the fitting at #4 you are drilling at an angle that puts the fitting into the oil stream. Not a 90 degree hole into the oil galley but at an angle into the oil flow.
I know it works and you will never change my mind that it doesn't.

Ok. I already said that. IF you need oil at the lifters (like you are using pushrod oiling and such) and IF you have blocked the oil off at the number 1 main bearing, then you have to get oil to the drivers side somehow. I agree with that.

But doing that cross over to slow the oil don’t is just wrong.

I also said I was going to look at a different way to feed the rocker gear rather than up through the cam or pushrod oiling.

I just don’t have the time right now to bother with it but I think there is a better way to not rob any oil from the crank to lube the rocker gear.

Ok. I already said that. IF you need oil at the lifters (like you are using pushrod oiling and such) and IF you have blocked the oil off at the number 1 main bearing, then you have to get oil to the drivers side somehow. I agree with that.

But doing that cross over to slow the oil don’t is just wrong.

I also said I was going to look at a different way to feed the rocker gear rather than up through the cam or pushrod oiling.

I just don’t have the time right now to bother with it but I think there is a better way to not rob any oil from the crank to lube the rocker gear.
You can drill through the oil galley into the passage going up to the cylinder heads and then plug the access hole that you made in order to do this. Then you drill the cam bearing for number two and number four and you turn them so that you are only feeding the cam and not the oil passage up to the head. This will give you full-time oil to the heads from the main oil Passage on each side of the motor.

-
Back